1/16/2013 - Mate in 4

foozkillah wrote:
    PAMetalBoss wrote:

What's wrong with using smothered mate in 5? So it takes one move longer, so what? How is that incorrect? Someone explain that to me, I think it's absurd. 

You might've answered your own question, PAMetalBoss... one move longer could mean the difference in a blitz/bullet game, or even a regular slow play  match with time running out. The fewer the moves to checkmate, the safer and less chance for error, or even a mishandled piece.  The smother mate damages your opponent's ego and will more, yes, but not if he/she has 1 second left and you have none.  Then you'd just look like an idiot.

But, it took me LESS time to see the smothered mate in 5 than the mate in 4. 

back rank checkmate classic

easy

JacekK wrote:

I thought it would be smothered mate.

me too

If 3...Kc8 then 4.Qc7#

Laughing

Smothered mate doesn't work.

Cool

The first move was tricky then it became easier

fun

Whonder what the next one will be

i thought it'd be smothered mate...

John_Tatum wrote:

Smothered mate doesn't work.

yes it does; if black moves 4. Na6+ Kc8, white responds with 5. Qc7#

animalcollective33 wrote:

whaddaya mean, "420"?

easy

edit: easy

[COMMENT DELETED]
    PAMetalBoss wrote:
    foozkillah wrote:
    PAMetalBoss wrote:

What's wrong with using smothered mate in 5? So it takes one move longer, so what? How is that incorrect? Someone explain that to me, I think it's absurd. 

You might've answered your own question, PAMetalBoss... one move longer could mean the difference in a blitz/bullet game, or even a regular slow play  match with time running out. The fewer the moves to checkmate, the safer and less chance for error, or even a mishandled piece.  The smother mate damages your opponent's ego and will more, yes, but not if he/she has 1 second left and you have none.  Then you'd just look like an idiot.

But, it took me LESS time to see the smothered mate in 5 than the mate in 4. 

foozkillah's answer is only valid in very specific situations. Like you said whichever mate you see first is the one you will use if you don't have much time. Specially when moves are forced you can just premove so it doesn't matter how many moves it takes.

I love these things

JacekK wrote:

I thought it would be smothered mate.

me too

good one :)

or Join

Online Now