1/16/2013 - Mate in 4

toninn

Na6, Ka8, Qb8+ Rxb8, Nc7# is a way cooler mate.

steinkaiser

seriously, why does queen c7 not work? been looking at it for couple minutes now, don't get it.

giants_14

Excellent... Fifty points for Gryffindor!!

Alive55
[COMMENT DELETED]
Barracuda777

sweet

Pavel_V_G

nice

ChessisGood

Lol...I think 95% of us thought this was smothered mate.

Davinder_singh

very nice!

damongross

Good exercise in knight and queen combination.

vuxy72

your solution is not good.

The good one is :

Qd6     Ka8

Nc7     Kb8

Na6     Ka8

Qb8      Rxb8

Nc7

vuxy72

this solution is good but there is a better one:

Qd6+    Ka8  -   Nc7+  Kb8   -   Na6++   Ka8   -  Qb8+  Rxb8   -  Nc7

Soyez s\'il vous plait pertinant, efficace et gentil !

vuxy72

your solution is not good.

The good one is :

Qd6     Ka8

Nc7     Kb8

Na6     Ka8

Qb8      Rxb8

Nc7

iatanbaal

There is also 3.Na6++ Ka8 4.Qb8+ Rb8 5.Nc7#, isn t it?

foozkillah

1. Qd6+, Ka8 2. Nc7+, Kb8 3. Na6++, Ka8 4. Qb8+, Rxb8 5. Nc7# is yes, definitely much more elegant.  I cater to the idea that serious chess is a clash of wills and egos, and the cold-blooded ruthlessness with a forced smother mate in 5, with the opponent absolutely helpless, is much more in keeping with the spirit.

PAMetalBoss

What's wrong with using smothered mate in 5? So it takes one move longer, so what? How is that incorrect? Someone explain that to me, I think it's absurd. 

pbazan

Nice!!

foozkillah
PAMetalBoss wrote:

What's wrong with using smothered mate in 5? So it takes one move longer, so what? How is that incorrect? Someone explain that to me, I think it's absurd. 

You might've answered your own question, PAMetalBoss... one move longer could mean the difference in a blitz/bullet game, or even a regular slow play  match with time running out. The fewer the moves to checkmate, the safer and less chance for error, or even a mishandled piece.  The smother mate damages your opponent's ego and will more, yes, but not if he/she has 1 second left and you have none.  Then you'd just look like an idiot.

recycleourknowledge
Wxman wrote:

The smothered mate works too, but it takes 5 moves.

Came here to say this. Glad it had been mentioned. Also, I'd take another move for style points. 

bayblad

easyear then eating a cake with sprinkles on topCool. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Laughing. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

Awesome_guy_25

Nice puzzle Laughing