• 4 years ago · Quote · #221

ocmn6

very interesting one...

• 4 years ago · Quote · #222

BrunoBringhenti

idiot puzzle, the real solution is f4

• 4 years ago · Quote · #223

raptor101010

lame duck puzzle, the black king can escape surely in move 7 via Kg5...

• 4 years ago · Quote · #224

Yabbie

great puzzle, took me a few goes to understand, thanks guys for clarifying, but yeah black has totally rooted himself

• 4 years ago · Quote · #225

waynedickinson2

same sh$tty puzzle

• 4 years ago · Quote · #226

obay0001

cool one!

• 4 years ago · Quote · #227

liamcoman1

why isnt 3.pg3 mate???

• 4 years ago · Quote · #228

stephen_33

raptor101010 wrote:

lame duck puzzle, the black king can escape surely in move 7 via Kg5...

I think you've missed the point of this, raptor101010.  It isn't about a quick mate after move 5 but leaving White in a winning position!

• 4 years ago · Quote · #229

0beliks

This is the best puzzle I've ever seen. So tricky and deep, a lot to learn from it.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #230

cailleach

stephen_33 wrote:

If you play it through Assessor, it looks like a win for White but I wonder if anyone has run this through an engine?

If you look at the continuation given in #229 (...), it looks as if the final placing of the bishop on g5 is a mistake - e5 seems better(?) After Be5, I can only find wins for White but g5 is problematic.

I haven't run it through an engine, but White is very clearly winning. Black has no threats left and cannot keep the white king from advancing, pushing the h-pawn is easily deflected by White.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #231

shengyi

Fun puzzle.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #232

henny45

that is kinda hardUndecided

• 4 years ago · Quote · #233

Big_Daddy_10

stephen_33 wrote:

I see they're making us all wait for today's (Saturday) puzzle!  Hope it's a good one.

Assessor 

White may now not be winning at this point but has now recovered the situation and also has a more than even chance to continue and win.

If you play it through Assessor, it looks like a win for White but I wonder if anyone has run this through an engine?

If you look at the continuation given in #229 by cailleach, it looks as if the final placing of the bishop on g5 is a mistake - e5 seems better(?) After Be5, I can only find wins for White but g5 is problematic.

See post #151 and #209 as I gave the original account of the game and then offered 2 puzzles one with the original ending position and the other with the B on e5 that you also thought of.  What I don't understand is how do you think that B on g5 is a mistake?

Black has no more threats and can only move his K to f5 or Pawn to h4. Neither of these moves advances Blacks position as there is never a threat of Black promoting either the g or h pawn.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #234

stephen_33

Big_Daddy_10 wrote:
    stephen_33 wrote:

If you look at the continuation given in #229 by cailleach, it looks as if the final placing of the bishop on g5 is a mistake - e5 seems better(?) After Be5, I can only find wins for White but g5 is problematic.

See post #151 and #209 as I gave the original account of the game and then offered 2 puzzles one with the original ending position and the other with the B on e5 that you also thought of.  What I don't understand is how do you think that B on g5 is a mistake?

Black has no more threats and can only move his K to f5 or Pawn to h4. Neither of these moves advances Blacks position as there is never a threat of Black promoting either the g or h pawn.

Because this thread had gone 'cold', I didn't bother to keep my original analysis & can't remember exactly what I was thinking but I seem to have got stuck in a 'thinking knot' on this one & didn't see the best moves!

Here's a rough reproduction of what (I think) I was thinking..

It's much clearer to me now & obviously a win for White whatever Black plays.

The more I look at that, the more I think I must have been having a bad day!

• 4 years ago · Quote · #235

baglabhakt

Tongue Outvery good

• 4 years ago · Quote · #236

henny45

Smile

• 4 years ago · Quote · #237

wontonjohn

a

• 3 years ago · Quote · #238

amir8ipin

did not get how it work =.=

• 3 years ago · Quote · #239

BryanCFB

amir8ipin wrote:

did not get how it work =.=

Look at what each white move does and or threatens.  Then look at what white threatens on each possible black alternative to what was actually played in the puzzle solution.  Finally read through all of the comments.  Skip over the nonsensical ones, and you'll find some useful ones which explain the moves.  This should help.

Post your reply: