12/8/2015 - Quickest Route

vinjdelgado
[COMMENT DELETED]
demongate

1.Qb4 Kd8 2. Qb7 also mate in 3 moves... bad problem... never mind... I always forget that we have to consider castle is legal in every problem... and  en passant also?... 

n9531l
demongate wrote:

1.Qb4 Kd8 2. Qb7 also mate in 3 moves... bad problem... never mind... I always forget that we have to consider castle is legal in every problem... and  en passant also?... 

I'm not sure about formal problem rules, but I think in a position where en passant is possible, it is allowed unless it can be proven from the position that Black's previous move would rule it out.

By the way, castling is not legal in every problem. Sometimes it can be shown that any legal previous Black move would make castling illegal.

PIRATCH

Wow! ;)

MorphyChess
n9531l wrote:

Good analyses by BryanCFB and MorphyChess. Now, how many comments will there be until someone suggests again that Qb4 also forces mate in three?

Qb4 allows OOO

(Online chess coaching taken from beginner level onwards through Skype. No maximum age limit. For details contact Ph: 9176195928 (India) / email squares64@gmail.com / Skype id: chessplayer2014)

CrannelB

black played terrible in that puzzle. White just got extremely lucky. xD

n9531l
CrannelB wrote:

black played terrible in that puzzle. White just got extremely lucky. xD

What is your suggested improvement for Black?

MorphyChess
n9531l wrote:
demongate wrote:

I'm not sure about formal problem rules, but I think in a position where en passant is possible, it is allowed unless it can be proven from the position that Black's previous move would rule it out.

By the way, castling is not legal in every problem. Sometimes it can be shown that any legal previous Black move would make castling illegal.

In a composed position if castling is not to be played then they won't keep the King and the Rook on the home squares. If the King and Rook are on their home squares and the pawns are on the second rank (unmoved) and there are no other pieces then it means that the last move was a King Move or Rook move hence castling not possible. 

In the given position all the pawns of black are NOT on the second rank and the King and the Rook are on their home squares hence it can be argued that the last move was a pawn move and that the King and Rook have not moved and hence castling is possible.

(Online chess coaching taken from beginner level onwards through Skype. No maximum age limit. For details contact Ph: 9176195928 (India) / email squares64@gmail.com / Skype id: chessplayer2014)

Samad1

Tongue Out

mvallejo70

Done.

AacarlosDeeDeeRobins