2/10/2012 - Mate in 5

TheCabal
Damn! Had no problems with all the moves except the first one. Can someone explain it please? =) (luring the queen one diagonal square away with my rook... why?)
Jacob30

ok

abekiroz

good puzz

aapseun

Think I have found a stronger 1st move RB7!! Black is helpless after that, even after 1 ND6 is all over as the E-file will open with devastating effect.

ZaneDurante

Why did Black sacrifice the Queen?  Maybe somewhere to prevent White queen on c8.

Oscar50

Yell

saqlain5699

nice puzzle.

c6er

What's with black Queen. Take the Knight if you must sacrafice.

knightofcrashtest

Hard. Didn't hit the help button!

Labfrog

Nice.

chemkact

nice puzzle. I had some trouble to find the first because Qa8+ and Rb7 are also very strong. 

chemkact
freebie wrote:

Can someone please tell me why black queen couldn't defend by moving to C7 on move #2?

Because of Qa8 +

knightofcrashtest
[COMMENT DELETED]
waffllemaster

Err... I guess the title did say mate in 5, which I missed... but seriously moves like Nd6+ and Rc7 (which I tried) win easily.  I don't think I'd ever find the pretty (and unnecessary) rook sac in a real game.

I know the point is to learn a pattern... I guess in that repect the puzzle is ok.

Lego_master

nice one

knightofcrashtest
waffllemaster wrote:

Err... I guess the title did say mate in 5, which I missed... but seriously moves like Nd6+ and Rc7 (which I tried) win easily.  I don't think I'd ever find the pretty (and unnecessary) rook sac in a real game.

I know the point is to learn a pattern... I guess in that repect the puzzle is ok.

Mate in five either way. I tested it.

dirtydog301

I wanted to say WTF when the Black Queen sacrificed itself for White's g-pawn. I guess the fact that it also checked White's king may have prolonged the mate by 1 move.

jasoncim

I'm pretty sure that fist person was joking...

Anyway, what's the point of 2...Qxg3+ ??  Seems like a bad move to me.

Omelet

2   ...   Qc7 

3. Qg4+

MrMacaco

Yeah, awesome