2/18/2012 - Adams - Torre, New Orleans 1925

melvinbluestone
RenataCFC wrote:
melvinbluestone wrote:
RenataCFC wrote:

NM I'm not sure again.

No, I think you're right. After 2.a4 Qxe2 3.Rxe2 Rc1+! (not 3...Rxe2?) 4.R or Ne1 and black mates on e1 next move. Nice. I guess Adams knew something about this game....

Ok, and that threat doesn't work on 4. a4 because the white queen is now blocking the c-rook's path to c1.  All right.  Now what happens if black takes e2 at that point anyway?

4.a4 Rxe2 5.Qxc8+ (ah, the check!) Re8 6.RxR (that other rook is still on e1!) QxR 7.QxQ# ..............OR 4.a4 Qxe2 5.RxQ RxR (5...RxQ 6.RxR#) 6.QxR#. I need a drink... 

stephen_33

I struggled. Got the first move o/k but mystified with moves 2 - 4. Only just realized why 4.Qxb7 is no good. Humbling & wonderful.

P.S. - I keep seeing black & white squares even when I close my eyes: Is that bad ?

phnixhamsta

Best one I've seen in a long time.

melvinbluestone
stephen_33 wrote:

I struggled. Got the first move o/k but mystified with moves 2 - 4. Only just realized why 4.Qxb7 is no good. Humbling & wonderful.

P.S. - I keep seeing black & white squares even when I close my eyes: Is that bad ?

Not as bad as seeing the Checkered Demon!

dahchessmaster

ive seen it or perhaps played it in real life or my dreamsLaughing

e5_chain

the whole idea of course was to deflect the queen

adam35035

wow this one's terrible

ChickyGirly

very difficult..i think yes but i had fun trying to figure it out

JoeDean

Why didn't black take the queen? There was nothing protecting it!

Scottstallion

Very intresting approach Undecided

cgk

The secret is understand that the black queen can't protect the black tower besides the king.

Zibeyda94

>A very good puzzle<Thank youWink

JoeDean

I understand nnow- that's absolutely brilliant. If black loses the queen, white's rook will come sweeping down, get taken, then the other rook swings down for mate

E-inator

Very good

bobhrn

tuff

gresties42

g6?,h6?

MonteGMx

didnt solved.too hard for little sleeped head

Choique

muy bueno!!!

Dificil de resolver para mi!!!!

Excelente!!!