2/18/2012 - Adams - Torre, New Orleans 1925

RenataCFC

That was so cool.

I'm glad I saw the idea, but I was pretty much lost for the details after the first move.  Which is why those guys were playing at international level and I'm not. :)

domalius

rather difficult problem, very nice

leandron

am I missing something? (why wouldn't black take the white queen during any of the first 4 moves??)

daxternator

hmm

BlackManGoD

great puzzle

carovalencia

Tricky!

inhouse

My fingers are tired from hitting the help button.

RenataCFC
dufferps wrote:

I started out okay, but move 3 -- the pawn threat -- eluded me. 

Similarly, the rook to e4 eluded me, but now I see the point behind that combination.  With both the black queen and black rook threatening the rook at e2, white's threat by capturing the b7 pawn when black's queen was in the b file would not work - black would attack e2. 

Too difficult for me, though I got some of the tactics white was using.

Thanks duffer -- the threat to e2 is what eluded me.  I mistakenly thought the pawns could cover a4.  In retrospect, got everything but that.

chessleogeo

Had trouble with this one, and I didn't get the ending

maxisku2

Great puzzle!

leonelcm

A classical and very interesting game, but the players were C. Torre with white pieces and E. Z. Adams with black. The game took place in 1920, in New Orleans. Thanx for sharing...

pbazan

Very nice!

melvinbluestone

Hilarious! the way the black queen gets chased around the board, unable to capture the white queen, because it can't quit control of e8. But it looks like 2.a4! immediately would have worked for the same reason..... Or am I missing something?

idraz

hard

gerfinn

I had to play this a few times before it made any sense.  The trick is, what would happen once the black queen loses the diag. line she's on.  Too hard for me, but I sure learned from this puzzle.

Matt472

Hardest daily puzzle ever!Laughing

damongross

Very clever!

loxatox

I'm confused. After 1.Qg4 why doesn't black play Rxe2?

loxatox
loxatox wrote:

I'm confused. After 1.Qg4 why doesn't black play Rxe2?

Never mind. The e1 rook is defended.

slowhare

Tried to play a4 earlier but was not accepted.