2/18/2016 - Endgame Flare

smithy3000

solved using process of elimination, this puzzle makes no sense to me....

human_robot

Wow! That was a lot of fun!

Random_Number

And another easy puzzle :)

adriancook

F

adriancook

T

adriancook

R

adriancook

T

adriancook

R

Tsadddek
willh135 wrote:

Interesting puzzle. It looks like black's best response to 2. Rb2 is not 2 .. Rxb2 but 2 .. Nf7. Certainly white's best response is then 3. Rxg2, but then it doesn't seem to be such an easy win. White has to get the king to the pawn as quickly as possible in order to keep the win. If Black gets his king and knight to the pawn they can keep the white king away indefinitely, resulting in a draw.

There is no draw. White K rises up to e6 and then black has no means to take the pawn while the white R picks up first the g-pawn and then comes to c-line. All the black pawns can be captured before capturing the N.

x123kaboom
ProDimolisher

cool

QR4mate

Relevent, helpful and nice on 2/22/2016!!Wink Great Puzzle!!Smile

HellHamster

willh135
Tsadddek wrote:
willh135 wrote:

Interesting puzzle. It looks like black's best response to 2. Rb2 is not 2 .. Rxb2 but 2 .. Nf7. Certainly white's best response is then 3. Rxg2, but then it doesn't seem to be such an easy win. White has to get the king to the pawn as quickly as possible in order to keep the win. If Black gets his king and knight to the pawn they can keep the white king away indefinitely, resulting in a draw.

There is no draw. White K rises up to e6 and then black has no means to take the pawn while the white R picks up first the g-pawn and then comes to c-line. All the black pawns can be captured before capturing the N.

Agreed - if the White K can get to e6 in time. My point is that it looks like an easy win, but it isn't necessarily. I think if, for example, after 3. Rxg2 Kb6, white does 4. Rxg5 instead of 4. Kd5 the game ends in a draw. Black can be prevented from taking the pawn, but White has no means to queen the pawn or checkmate the King. This is not immediately obvious - Rxg5 looks like an ok move to keep the win.

AacarlosDeeDeeRobins

^