2/4/2012 - Mate in 4

Damien666Acosta

good but hard

stephen_33

Very subtle - I've been solving these puzzles for a few months & this has to have been the most testing so far ! (some are far too easy) Is it cheating to 'test' moves because my "Incorrect Moves" count has gone through the roof with this one ?

P.S. - As a very new member, can anyone tell me who sets these puzzles ?  The setter of this one deserves a prize.

RobertLiu666

COOL BUT NOT COOL

Ace5000

hard...

woefulknignt

You know chess is simple. Knight takes Queen. Play the point and position system.

3 pawns too far away. Black rook powerless. White controls...wittle black down...

win game.

knightofcrashtest

Wasn't sure about move 3... Hard but good.

uffruffEccekio

Whittle my son. Unless by "wittle" you are intending to reder him witless.

saijiki88

This was a tough one for me.  I would have been hard pressed not to take the Queen.

vanhafford

Why take the Queen when you can take the King and win the game with: 1.Bf5+ Kd5  2.Qh1 Kc4  3.Qb1!! (Double exclaimation)  ...Bb4  4.Qd3# Checkmate.  Nice lesson.  Thank you!

gargantuanmedia

The first move is Knight taking the black Queen at a7 in anyreal world game. Sometimes these hypotheticals are too hypothetical.

uffruffEccekio

es indeed @Gar

fastig

Good

TimWhiddon

yes move 3 is very tricky

chuckchess

FIRST, to check the solution.

Leonardo_da_binky

pretty hard for me, being a chess noob and all, but it was only the last 2 moves that really got me because they weren't forced checks/moves. stimulating puzzle.

novzki41
[COMMENT DELETED]
jojuyendayar

nice

venkatrh

Good One

relatedsqrs

First two moves were easy, but the third was the difficult one.

TheCabal
BluePenguin wrote: TheCabal wrote: I don't understand blacks response 3... Bb4. Can anyone help me getting this one? Move 3 was indeed tricky to find, as was move 4! Move 3, Qb1, further limited the mobility of the black King. It removed b3 and b5 as escape squares. The black King had 2 remaining escape squares: c3, which would have been met with mate in the next move, Qc2#; and d5, which would also have led to mate in the next move, Qe4#. The move Bb4 created a small escape hatch, the b5 square, through which the black King would have escaped, had it been given a chance. Thank you for explaining it, now I get it!!