3/11/2011 - Cohn, 1928

dufferps

It seems the key move is that initial Kf2.  from that point there are many variations, but no matter what black does, white has a response that will lead to a draw, either by stalemate or by simply clearing the board of all the pieces.  It is hard to find a blunder by black that would allow white to win, but it is impossible for black to win unless white makes a blunder (and the correct responses for white are not too hard to see at that point.)   Previous commenters have shown a number of the variations.  In several of them, white uses the principle of maintaning opposition against the black king to force a draw.

sen_kwan
tavi001 wrote:

2. Rxe4 is also a draw. So there are 2 ways of obtaining a draw.

its only 1 way to draw.. if 2.Rxe4 is a lose..

atulyatej

Nice.....

j2009m

IDIOT!

govindmk

Such puzzles improve our insight into the game

1000oaks

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingGOOD PUZZLELaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

1000oaks

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingEASYLaughingLaughingEmbarassedLaughing

lukasskoupy

FIRST!!!! nice one :)

jonathankennedy

what about black kd4

bidyutjorhat

nice puzzle .... i do only after seeing the solution...lol

melodyzhang

thanks for that short and sweet get-to-the-point explanation, marmaladecat. i totally understand now/. but one thing, isnt the dailypuzzle a post too? except that its made by the staff? so i guess this whole "dailypuzzle" stuff is just a bunch of forum posts...sigh... thats weird...isnt it?Surprised

also, jgl1976, so youre back with that nonsense again? you are a sucker, jerk, nerd, dummy, and a dork.Yell ha ha ha Laughing

Amdbird
Jpr wrote:

how have i solved it? surely white loses...

Next move will be a draw, so yes you solved the puzzle

sai_kiran

good match

Pawn_Gambit

Nice puzzle.  If the solution isn't a last-ditch effort, none exists.  Really cool.

Kuomlei

very nice

merchco
Jpr wrote:

how have i solved it? surely white loses...stalemate

EmanuelPau

Wow, surprise...

Daltivic

good puzzle! Nice forced draw

FredBatchelor

i don't feel very solved.

asbakpenuh

nice one. forced stalemate or insufficient draw.