3/26/2011 - Mate in 3

Beautiful.

Not the only one to find this tough - had to hit Help & I hate that. I wanted to play 1.Nef4 to protect the other knight & threaten mate by Be6 or Qd3 but with the two 'spite' checks by the rook, it takes 4 moves.
    Mind-twister !

good

if I am right I see here mate in 2

knight on e to f4 then Qd3 or Be6

Please correct me if I am wrong

djumanoff wrote:

knight on e to f4 then Qd3 or Be6

1...Rb2+ stops mate on the next move.

what about knight to F8, threatening checkmate in two different ways?Please be relevant, helpful & nice!

sorry, continuing...after knight to F8 then either Bishop to E6 for mate or other knight to G3, setting up former knight to G6 for mate....does that not work?  That would be mate in 2 or three.

kahlenborn wrote:

sorry, continuing...after knight to F8 then either Bishop to E6 for mate or other knight to G3, setting up former knight to G6 for mate....does that not work?  That would be mate in 2 or three.

What if after 1. Nf8 black defends the 2. Be6# threat with 1...Re7?  Then on 2. Ng3+ Kf4 3. Ng6+, black's king can escape 3...Ke3.  It looks like no mate in two or three using that particular idea.

Perhaps I have overlooked something.  I recall this being one of the most complicted daily puzzles I have seen on Chess.com.

I think you may be right...I overlooked the King's escape to e3...thanks...CK

posted about three years late

or Join

Online Now