3/8/2012 - Vink - Gulko, Corus B 2001

shepi13

g5 Qf7#.

Shippen

Got it!

deepak21071974

hmm:)

thenovice

The reverse queen sacrifice! White keeps his queen and black loses his- it's rare to see that in these puzzles.

Alfredito52
raju28 wrote:

why black queen scarified?

because is the only way to delay the checkmate with g4++

cheeseman0309
Why would the queen take the pawn!
llamatoe

what.... it seems like the queen sacrifice is complety unneeded and redundant.. the result is the same... why lose a peice jsut to dealy the exact same thing happening by one move? 

thenovice
llamatoe wrote:

what.... it seems like the queen sacrifice is complety unneeded and redundant.. the result is the same... why lose a peice jsut to dealy the exact same thing happening by one move? 

Because optimal play requires delaying your loss as long as possible- you never know if your opponent will blunder and let you turn things around.

llamatoe
thenovice wrote:

Because optimal play requires delaying your loss as long as possible- you never know if your opponent will blunder and let you turn things around.

yeah, but by moving your queen there... it pretty much tells your opponent that.. "hey! im moving my queen here so u dont mate me with your pawn!"  the only way your oppoent could lose is if he didnt see the move.. and so maybe you shouldnt make it so obvious

PeaceRequiresAnarchy

Proud that I found this in less than 10 seconds. Lovely puzzle.

DegtyarenkoVladislav

stupid... and... this is...bad... i ain't like it... queen for pawn...huh...

RookPFeynman

Nice but black is doomed again!

h3lo123

too easy

sivartalappes
ka7th wrote:
raju28 wrote:

its to stop 2. g4#

but if black just pushes his own g-pawn, doesn't it stop the mate since he now has an escape square?

ndskykng
sivartalappes wrote:
ka7th wrote:
raju28 wrote:

its to stop 2. g4#

but if black just pushes his own g-pawn, doesn't it stop the mate since he now has an escape square?

Push the g-pawn instead of stopping g4?  Congratulations, you just allowed White to pull Qf7# a move early.

PawnPace2012

Bxe4 works as well

biat

ok

ndskykng
PawnPace2012 wrote:

Bxe4 works as well

Bxe4 can't force mate in 3.

It's already been discussed.

chessleogeo

not that hard

ChenGJ

It took be only three minutes to figure it out. but nice puzzle for intermediates.