4/19/2018 - Clever Promotion

MKylhe

To those people who solved the puzzle, I bet you can solve this puzzle!
White clearly has a disadvantage so the best thing he can hope is a DRAW.
Solve this if you can!

Orangutan89

On 4th move white can checkmate with g4+ and Qh6#

everydaynormalguy48

Might be missing something but what about black rook to a8?

Currency_Lad
BryanCFB wrote:
Currency_Lad wrote:

BryanCFB has provided some excellent analysis above. Black's best response to 1. e7 appears to be 1. ... Rxf5, but after that the game appears to be quite open depending on each sides play.

I really don't see it that way.  At least in the 1...Rxf5 2. Rxf5 Bxg6 3. Kc3 line I provide black's moves are rather restricted.

Yeah, upon reflection I have to agree.

Guess I was bewildered by Stockfish's confusing choices on repeated play throughs (e.g.: 1.Kc3 Ba4[??] 2.e7 Bd1 3.e8=Q#). Just goes to show the limitations of engines.

Chess.com's computer managed to find your optimum line (1.e7 Rxf5 2.Rxf5 Bxg6 3.Kc3!! ...) each time. I know other sites use Stockfish, but Chess.com has its own engine - is that right? I  just wish the puzzle creators would analyse their positions first. That way we might get consistently better puzzles.

By the way, I wasn't trying to steal your thunder. Just redirect users to your analysis, which is always thorough.

kindlestenssoro
yangbillion wrote:
  1. easy!
  2. cool!
  3. awesome!

4. yangbillion!!!

SuperPatzer77
#15513 hrs ago

if it was black to move ...Rxf5 2. Rxf5 Bg6 pinning the rook to the king

Yes, but 3. Kc3!!! unpinning White Rook. If 3...Bxf5, then 4. e8=Q+ is decisive. 

BryanCFB

everydaynormalguy48 wrote:

Might be missing something but what about black rook to a8?

If 1..Ra8 then 2. Rf8#. If 2...Ra8 then 3. gxf7 is crushing.

Mike_Aronchuk

Easy

yangbillion

nIce good puzzle

-yangbillon

JoeyWoj

Tejas149

shut up  all

kindlestenssoro

sorry, but this one is a stupid promotion

Trexler3241
1.e7 Rxf5 is not better than 1... Bxf7 because of 2.Rxf5 Kh8 (other moves are equal) 3.Rf8#
BryanCFB

Trexler3241 wrote:

1.e7 Rxf5 is not better than 1... Bxf7 because of 2.Rxf5 Kh8 (other moves are equal) 3.Rf8#

Better than 2...Kh8 but still losing is 2...Bxg6.

kindlestenssoro

sorry, but this is a stupid promotion in English

orenzmendoza

solved

kindlestenssoro

solved twice!

sergiovieira

more easy!

kindlestenssoro

greekgift1955

Hey BryanCFB, 

I cheated and went back to the first page and looked at your answer.  3.Kc3!! was a nice move.  Otherwise White seems to be reduced to 3.e8=Q to unpin the rook.  After g4 though I think Rg5+ and snapping up the g pawn and forcing the Black King against the side might be better.  Then march in with the King to help the pawn.