4/14/2012 - White to Draw

  • #141
    Olthetime wrote:
    Gil-Gandel wrote:
    nicklow02 wrote:

    why no more after rook takes pawn?
     

    You're meant to figure out why Black is now facing perpetual check. (If the King goes to h6, White can check forever on the h and g files. If to h8 or g8, White plays Rf8+, then Rf7+ and so on.)

    Actually its mate pretty quick if black takes the kh8 option.

    You must mean the Kh6 option.

  • #142

    Cool


  • #143

    ok

  • #144
    Azkadaz wrote:
     

    In your red lines white can just play 4. Qxd3 as 3...Re4+ is a discovered check but not a double check so the white king doesn't have to move. 

  • #145

    Nice puzzle.

  • #146

    nice

  • #147
    Wow! So easy.
  • #148

    Going for a draw does not often enter my mind with so many pieces still in play.

  • #149
    kielejocain wrote:
     


    ty ty ty

  • #150

    There so much that could be done without a draw- Not very good answer for this one- Sorry

  • #151
    ndskykng wrote:
    Bryan681972 wrote:

    If 1. Rd4 then 1...Rxf2+ either checkmates or at least wins a bishop for black.  If after 1...Rxf2+ 2. Kxf2 then 2...Re2+ 3. Kg1 Qe3+ 4. Kh1 Qxf3+ 5. Kg1 Qg2#.  If after 1...Rxf2+ 2. Kg1 then at the very least 2...Rf1+ 3. Qxf1 Qxd4+ wins a bishop for black.  Please feel free to correct me if I miscalculated or improve or expand on the second line.

    Excellent analysis Bryan!!  Here is a picture for those that didn't follow.

    What I would add is that after 1...Rxf2 2. Kg1

    then 2..Rg2+ 3. Kh1 Qxf3 follows, with threats of discovered check (Rxg3+ followed by Qg2# come to mind) and also Ree2 still, should reinforcements be needed.  If White's queen ever leaves the back rank, then Re1# is easy.  White can get in a few courtesy checks on Black's King, but White will soon fall.

     



    Thank you.  I saw 1. Rd4 Rxf2+ 2. Kg1 Rg2+ 3. Kh1 Qxf3 and suspected it was crushing for black but did not feel like analyzing the courtesy checks to see that there was indeed no perpetual check or even a checkmate for white. 

    Also any effort by white to challenge the black queen also fails, mainly due to the threat of double check.  For example 4. Rf4 allows 4...Rh2+ (double check) 5. Kxh2 Re2+ 6. Kg1 Qg2#. 

  • #152
    Gil-Gandel wrote:
    nicklow02 wrote:

    why no more after rook takes pawn?
     

    You're meant to figure out why Black is now facing perpetual check. (If the King goes to h6, White can check forever on the h and g files. If to h8 or g8, White plays Rf8+, then Rf7+ and so on.)

    Thank you Gil.  That one had me stumped.

  • #153

    nice

  • #154
    gdan00 wrote:

    first!

    if black doesn't accept the draw with Kh6, it follows a simple mate

    i dont get it. What draw? kh6 is mate in a few moves.

  • #155
    gabrucho wrote:
    gdan00 wrote:

    first!

    if black doesn't accept the draw with Kh6, it follows a simple mate

    i dont get it. What draw? kh6 is mate in a few moves.

    Yes.  If black doesn't accept the draw and plays Kh6 then there is a mate.

  • #156
    Bryan681972 wrote:
    gabrucho wrote:
    gdan00 wrote:

    first!

    if black doesn't accept the draw with Kh6, it follows a simple mate

    i dont get it. What draw? kh6 is mate in a few moves.

    Yes.  If black doesn't accept the draw and plays Kh6 then there is a mate.


    Yeah, I get it now, it was just my poor interpretation skills in english. My bad ^^.

  • #157
    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • #158

    You should implement a slashdot style moderation system for posts, or at least edit them so that there is actually some chess related material in the thread. I am getting sick of seeing indians writing 'first!'.

  • #159

    sunday? o.o

  • #160

    i didn't understood, why would white accept draw ?

or Join

Online Now