4/17/2012 - Mate in 5

Veteran12

I liked it!

darioalivodic

this is a very easy puzzle

mmgestes

I saw Yeewassup's mate in 5.  But I learned about "smother" mates.  Thanks.

abekiroz

nice one

lph

Smother Mate rulesCool

kasirohan
[COMMENT DELETED]
kasirohan

jokes

stalemate77

Stalemate77 knows he has played on chess.com for a while when he can do the trapped king-kinght mate!

Denieru

josh waitzkin 101 ;) Nice concept!

DudeDude88

Smother mates. They are straight up nasty! IMO one of the worst way to lose a game. 

misterplayer

Elegant.

dufferps

Beautiful - Those last two move are classic!

This was one of those where I didn't see the whole sequence from the beginning, but the right move was pretty clear at each step.

MartinUKL

Cunning!

tshumanist
[COMMENT DELETED]
Ol_hickory
yeewassup wrote:

usually these puzzles are well thought out, but i seem to see another mate in 5, is there anything wrong with:

not saying that this puzzle isn't well thought out

I thought that this was the solution and failed the puzzle because of it. I can't figure out how black could do anything differently except for 3. ...Kf8 , which just results in a checkmate on move 4: Qf7#

JuanIvan

Very nice....

dufferps
yeewassup wrote:

usually these puzzles are well thought out, but i seem to see another mate in 5, is there anything wrong with:

not saying that this puzzle isn't well thought out

That looks good to me - even better than the "solution" in that white doesn't sacrifice his queen and in fact takes black's queen.

I didn't even see it, probably because the knight at h6, smothered mate is such a familiar classic play.

FranciscoCorralesM

nice

komouro

too easy

Ol_hickory
mmgestes wrote:

I saw Yeewassup's mate in 5.  But I learned about "smother" mates.  Thanks.

Don't worry, sir. Yeewassup's mate is actually the superior mate: no queen sacrifice, and either white captures black's queen for free OR checkmate actually occurs on move 4 of the sequence--faster than the smother mate.