x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

5/19/2017 - Breaking Things Open

smartypants is going to lose some pants, I thought they would take off a couple of his posts. No need now.

Well, I guess it wasn't smartypants that got removed.  My guess now is it was our friend Bobby. He appears to be missing in action everywhere.

Arimyth wrote:

Definitely a more challenging puzzle today.

Sort of. Nc6 and Bxa6 are also forced mates, so I'd call it more of an annoying puzzle. All the moves you think of first are correct.

LP

I slept past that one.

StevenPatzer wrote:

I slept past that one.

Me too, I slept through the whole thing.

Great combination!

I got this one without all that much trouble. I've discovered that in each one of these you need to start off by looking for the most unlikely sacrifice and work from there.

That was a lot of fun!  I love breaking things open!

(Even though it has the move Mr. Darthom truly hates. )

Mohak_Tilak wrote:

can anyone tell me what is the harm in starting with Bxa6 ?

At quick glance I think the problem with 1. Bxa6 is 1...Nc5 2. Rxc5 Qxc7 3. Rxc7 Kxa6.  Wins for white but not the most efficient solution.

sammy_boi wrote:
    Arimyth wrote:

Definitely a more challenging puzzle today.

Sort of. Nc6 and Bxa6 are also forced mates, so I'd call it more of an annoying puzzle. All the moves you think of first are correct.

How many moves does it take to mate with 1. Nc6+ and 1. Bxa6, if they even force mate at all?

Funny how things always break through! 

I didn't see the correct puzzle,  but I did see a way to kill the queen in 4 moves

Solved

Online Now