5/23/2018 - Almus-Herman, East Germany 1957

BryanCFB
Dsmith42 wrote:

Nice double deflection.

The 4. ..d3 line does require 5. Qd6 to avoid a draw, though.  Won for white, but precise play is still required.

Well if black is able to queen it will likely be a black win, not just a draw. 

And white can also win with 5. Kg2 (played to avoid back rank checks from black's rook).  Why commit the queen to defense until absolutely necessary?  Sure black can play 5...d2 and then white would want to play 6. Qd6 and defend but in general it's a better overall thought process not to think to play defensively if it can be avoided, and especially play defensively with the queen.

BryanCFB
dirk-antonbroersen wrote:

After the first move, black reacts with rook C8 when I play this out against the computer. Now still you get advantage with a bisshop left on your side.

The computer will tell you to try 1...Rc8 because after the combination ends black has only lost a piece, a material loss of three points.  In the puzzle variation, after the combination ends black has lost a queen for a rook, a material loss of four points.

Where computers tend to think in terms of numerical value to judge a position, I'm guessing humans would rather have as easy a time as possible when trying to win.  I think most (myself included) would prefer facing 1...Rc8 because after best play from black, white has a king, bishop and four pawns while black has a king and five pawns, a relatively simple endgame win for white.  After the puzzle variation white has a king, queen and four pawns while black has a king, rook and five pawns, a greater material advantage for white than after 1...Rc8 but to most (myself included) a more difficult win (although still a clear win) due to possible black counter chances because black still has a rook.

So the lesson here is not to necessarily go the same route the computer would.  The computer never finds a numerically superior move harder, but humans quite often do.

BryanCFB
Unicornguy67 wrote:

Despite the illegal position this is actually a pretty nice puzzle.  White ends up an exchange at the end.  I don't know if it's enough to win but it sure beats being down 13 pieces!

KillTheHorsie
buggyguy wrote:

Simplest one recently. And in East Germany? Wasn't that Communist at one point?

For just a little while: from 1949 to 1990.

Imagen85

EASY.

jonescalvin96

good

vedapi

Easy peazy lemon squeezy

human_robot

Wow! Brilliance! That was a lot of fun!! Thanks David!!