5/11/2012 - Mate in 3

jakester127
stephen_33 wrote:

The arrangement of the pieces guides you very quickly to the solution.

Another quite challenging puzzle from Deltaquad (see #26), albeit a bit strange this time ! I still  can't understand black's only move - I think there's a better one.

Also unnerving is that there are three ways of mating on the second move & my first two attempts were rejected - the third finally worked ( I wish they would find a way on this site of accepting valid, alternative solutions - other sites do )

Anyway, here's the solution as I see it:-

Can anyone enlighten me - why 1...Nd4 ? I don't see what it achieves. At least 1...Bxe6 attacks both c4 & g4.

I don't think that 1...,Nd4 is black's best move either.  However, white is threatening to play 1.Nxg4# and the only moves that defend against it are 1...,Rxg2 and 1...,Bxe6.  1...,Rxg2 is met by Nec4# and you already figured out the problem with 1...,Bxe6.

PardalsemCasa

Nice and easy... all forced...

onefineham

Wow I'm getting better at these :)

Jacob30

I have two questions. Why would a magician want to give away his tricks? Why help anyone?

szammie

I guess.

SZ.

FredBatchelor

Ok

kayonah

nice and easy

shahronakm

Easy one.

daniel2852

link on the main page is broken, redirects to the forum instead of the particular problem

damongross

Clever way to get the bishop out of the way of the rook without losing the initiative.

ZenitFan

Nice queen sacrifice & rook attack.

BTW, all the links to the puzzle are bad. Instead they go to the main forum page. I had to navigate from there to the puzzle page.

onthehouse

Good.

deepak64

Very good puzzle.

StrategicPlay

Whoppee! 

Easy. 

Dylst

wow

qbsuperstar03

Going back to the old first move queen sac, I see.

sighbeerguy

Yes, a reversion to the Chess.com "trash the queen " game style.

How to play,

1. Find the fastest, most direct and instantaneous means of sacing the white queen.

2. The follow-up mateing move will become glaringly obvious.

Eris_Discordia

Easy!

cammus

I think is funny how I always log in about the same time in the day and, when the puzzle link from the main page works, I see up to 9 screens of comments. But when it's like today, that you have to surf a little, click here and there to finally get to the puzzle... I see only 4, sometimes 3 screens of comments....

pbazan

simple but nice