Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

5/4/2013 - Handling a Pawn Mass

good 

nice

In fact, the last move, Rb1, by the white is not mandatory. He can proceed with other pawns on the right side of the board.

missisipiblues wrote:

In fact, the last move, Rb1, by the white is not mandatory. He can proceed with other pawns on the right side of the board.

The basic reason behind 3. Rb1 is white needs to go to b1 in order to win because white needs to stop the b2 pawn from moving and freeing the b2 square for the b3 pawn.  And if 3. Rb1 a1Q then 4. Rxa1+ bxa1Q 5. Rxa1#. 

no checkmate but after the pawn takes the rook, the other rook blocks off the other pawns from advancing. Good One!

bump

Yes, it is "solved."  But I had to play it out to see that.

Not an "easy Sunday" for me.

EDIT: It's a shame there is so much junk comments.   It is no longer worth while to even scan the comments for anything relevant.  If I were a paying member, I'd be really angry.

It IS comforting to note that most of the comments here on the 10th page are good, relevant  comments.

End game exercises are always instructive.

Great puzzle for 5/4/2013 and 3/19/2017!!thumbdown.png Page ten for Liza!!tongue.png

dufferps wrote:

Yes, it is "solved."  But I had to play it out to see that.

Not an "easy Sunday" for me.

EDIT: It's a shame there is so much junk comments.   It is no longer worth while to even scan the comments for anything relevant.  If I were a paying member, I'd be really angry.

It IS comforting to note that most of the comments here on the 10th page are good, relevant  comments.

Today's puzzle (3-19-2017) typifies the shortcomings of the Chess.com Daily Puzzle.  The puzzle doesn't work, and the staff has had eleven hours to fix it.  The comment thread is littered with irrelevant comments, although more understandable here with a broken puzzle and nothing relevant to comment on.  And the puzzle is a repeat of a prior puzzle, although if the last time it appeared was almost four years ago then that is not so bad.  Sometimes though puzzles are repeated after only a matter of a few months!

Online Now