6/11/2018 - Smyslov - Euwe, Zurich 1953

BryanCFB
jacques_bu wrote:

Why would black play 5.Qe5, wasting a move ? He can let his queen in c7 and play e6 which looks much better to me...  

Agreed.  I never indicated the line I provided starting with 5...Qe5 was black's best line, it definetly wasn't.  I just wanted to provide an example, as extreme as it was, which demonstrated how white was crushing. 

Truth is though white really isn't crushing in that line as I overestimated white's position.  Black could always give up the queen for the rook and bishop, as say after your 5...e6 then 6. Rxd7 Qxd7 7. Bxd7+ Kxd7 8. Qxf7+, leaving white with a definite advantage but by no means crushing.

jacques_bu

We agree then, white is in a better position, but black still has some energy to fight back and should be able to find a drawing position... 

The puzzle wasn't that "obvious" then, if white is playing for a win

BryanCFB

jacques_bu wrote:

We agree then, white is in a better position, but black still has some energy to fight back and should be able to find a drawing position... 

The puzzle wasn't that "obvious" then, if white is playing for a win

White has a clear win but it takes technique and white has to work for it.

And don't forget white was losing at the outset of this puzzle, so even if it happened to end in a draw white has gained something.

mvallejo70

Done.

Rishi2009

first try bam what!