DinuIndre

Hello ^^ very nice puzzle today! I found this mate in 2:

I hope it didn't divert your attention from the daily puzzle (((:

HassanBasunie

Special puzzle today, Happy Eid! !عيدكم مبارك

CitizenOfTheWorld91

Top 3. Not bad.

hecksuba

I finally figured out one of these oddball puzzles!! Since it was a real game, I knew there would be a surprise ending. And there was. Truth is stranger than fictional chess.

kroggaard

æ

vraev

ххх

Omair_98

fp

MunkoIrinceev

heynongman77

hi

jpeinsc
ok
majyk555

B

gabrjan

fun one happy.png

Pehnguin

classic one

Iridium13

windyjohan

Wow.

riyanagg

fun 

KingPawn_101

Easy one thumbup.png

Arisktotle
hecksuba wrote:

I finally figured out one of these oddball puzzles!! Since it was a real game, I knew there would be a surprise ending. And there was. Truth is stranger than fictional chess.

It is an endgame composition. Leonid Kubbel was a famous composer, Magyar Sakkvilag (probably) a chess magazine. If the truth of chess games were stranger than the fiction of compositions, then nobody would be composing. Compositions always have hidden tries and variations not showing up in the single path displays of these solutions. Here is the hidden content in this one:

2. e8Q? Bd4+! 3. Rxd4 (Ka8/a6 Rxd6 is a draw) Ra6+! 4. Kxa6 stalemate!

Edit: There is another even more relevant line:  1. .. Bd4+ 2. Rxd4 (otherwise ..Rxd6 draws) Re6 3. Rd8+ Kc7 4. e8R! (e8Q? Ra6+! and stalemate as above) and white wins. The only promotion piece missing from the bouquet is the bishop ... unless I missed something?

CitizenOfTheWorld91

Instead of 1... Kc7, Black could've saved his Rook at the expense of White promoting to Queen. Still, Q+K vs R+K is not an easy exercise (not for me at least)!