Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

6/19/2017 - Rudolf L`Hermet vs Hagemann, Magdeburg 1888

BryanCFB wrote:
    BryanCFB wrote:
    StevenPatzer wrote:

I did not see how you dealt with 2....Ng6.

It's in there, hidden amongst the many lines.

I think you must have meant after 2...g6 3. hxg6 how to deal with 3...Nxg6.  I inadvertantly did not complete the line.  It would finish 4. Qxg6+!! hxg6 (forced) 5. Rh8#.

bestperson wrote:

Mate in 2

ALWAYS WORKS AGAINST GROUPS OF GMs!!!!!! THEY'LL NEVER SEE IT COMING!!!!!! (I know this from experience).

I would have expected something destructive. The bishop moves seemed weeaaaaaaaaaak

Strong moves!!

Once again, why not Bg5 Qe8 Bh6? Then after ...g6 white wins the rook, whereas if it was on f6, it would not win the rook

Barnowl16 wrote:

Once again, why not Bg5 Qe8 Bh6? Then after ...g6 white wins the rook, whereas if it was on f6, it would not win the rook

Yeah, Bh6 was my move too.   It looks better than Bf6 to me.  I think this puzzle has a flawed solution.  

COOL

vtkvtyvtykgyvtftkvtktktcrttvibghybkgbk

JeffGreen333 wrote:
    Barnowl16 wrote:

Yeah, Bh6 was my move too.   It looks better than Bf6 to me.  I think this puzzle has a flawed solution.  

2. Bf6 is much stronger because it attacks the h8 square from f6 and it doesn't block the h-file for white's rook on h1.  Both are essential to the success of the mating attack that develops from the many lines coming from 2. Bf6.  There will be no successful mating attack after 2. Bh6, and which is more important, the win of an exchange or the capturing of your opponent's king?

BryanCFB wrote:
    JeffGreen333 wrote:
    Barnowl16 wrote:

2. Bf6 is much stronger because it attacks the h8 square from f6 and it doesn't block the h-file for white's rook on h1.  Both are essential to the success of the mating attack that develops from the many lines coming from 2. Bf6.  There will be no successful mating attack after 2. Bh6, and which is more important, the win of an exchange or the capturing of your opponent's king?

Yeah, ok.   I see it now.   I saw that I could win the exchange, but I didn't see the mate.  Thanks, Bryan.  

nice one

This puzzle has generated a great response.  I managed to figure out the bishop move.   White Queen well positioned.  I would rather be playing white then black in this game.   Way  back in 1888 I expect that white won.

or Join

Online Now