x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

7/14/2016 - Tricks Are For Kids

6.h8=R Kg7 7.Rh1 Kg6 8.Rh4 Kg7 9.Kxf5 Kf8 10.Kxf6 Ke8 11.Ra4 Kd8 12.Ra7 Ke8 13.Rb7 Kd8 14.Rxf7 Ke8 15.Rh7 Kd8 16.Ke6 Kc8 17.Kd6 Kb8 18.Kc6 Ka8 19.Kb6 Kb8 20.Rh8#

OR

6.h8=R Kg7 7.Rh2 Kg6 8.Rh4 Kg7 9.Kxf5 Kg8 10.Kxf6 Kf8 11.Rh8#

#MatingPatterns101

terorism! Deep regret and sorrow to France!

dufferps wrote:
    Tsadddek wrote:
    Bilbo21 wrote:

I can't see that position happening very often.

Why didn´t he promote to a Bishop?

A King and Bishiop ending us usually a draw, and in this case with three black pawns, it is even more ikely to be a draw.  Impossible for white to win with a King and Bishop.  A Rook can cover every square on the board, and therefore can team up with the white King to win.

I agree about ultimate draw likely (if played well, no mistakes or blunders. I see your point about promoting to B on h8. Then can take middle BP on f6. Further play white can get BP on f5. So white can guarantee taking 2/3 BPs. However, from there it is likely a draw if well played. Endgame B vs. P (Ks are always on board so assumed) (unless someone knows way to guarantee P promotion). (If was B vs. 2P (especially connected/adjacent), then that could be win for Ps (promotion). Yet white can force taking all BPs down to 1.) WR can guarantee win if played well. Try in chess.com game analysis (analyzer) mode & work/play out alternatives/options. You may have to play both sides, so do your best for each. Also because rook is better, next best after queen (except in this kind of case where promotion to Q loses option to win, while R allows to continue to win). The order of best or most useful pieces are (especially alone, or during endgame phase with only K or Ps, or in pawn promotion) - (same order as assigned piece point value, point value also reflects more useful piece / relative value.) Q, R, B or N (I prefer N, can reach all squares, tricky to effectively plan moves. B can be powerful in coverage & reach & simpler to plan, but only all light or else all dark squares, half the board, opponent can use this to advantage, avoid B covered squares, or sequence moves to avoid or pass B.), P (except has that promotion potential or hope, if you can safely deliver or leverage into major piece exchange/sacrifice by other player. In the promotion potential situations, this can be more valuable than a major piece & even worth a major piece loss or sacrifice to deliver/realize promotion (like sacrifice R/Q to promote & gain a Q or just replace piece). So actual value is low with potential value is any pieces above! Potential & extra threat of pawns about which to be mindful.). (K gets special mention, powerful & useful within 1 square reach, but with check rules vulnerability no other piece has.)

Nice and easy puzzle !!! Solved in less than 1 nano-second !!!

Clever puzzle setup.  

People say simple.  Do they realize the thought & planning put into some of these?  If not, try options/alternatives to the solution.  & you will learn more.  About why something is a better choice. I did & that was the real value.  

In this puzzle, if you don't do the solution, black can also push & promote pawn to queen (with king assist).  Then black has advantage with pawns.  Q vs. Q+3P(badly tripled up). 

I did the correct moves 1st time.  Then I thought, can I find way to safely promote white P=Q?  So I tried options.  Answer, doing so allows black to push & promote P=Q also (K assisted). Then black has material advantage with the pawns.  

(Some puzzles have valid winning alternatives, that are even better recommended game play.  This 1 does not seem to.)  

Nice and easy endgame puzzle with an odd and interesting position. Got all the moves right except the last part where I promoted the pawn to a queen and missed the stalemate. Good one.

Wow! That was a lot of fun!

What is the value of these puzzles?  

To get you to think, or expose you to possibly new situations.  Like happens in a game (even though some of these are unlikely to occur).  Each game turn is a new puzzle & opportunity to figure out solutions.  To expand thinking & mind beyond what is likely to occur.  Like random chess startups or chess rules alternatives.  

Some can be mainly entertaining & fun.  If laughable, then laugh.  If funny, then have fun.  

The main lesson here?  A reminder, to be aware & mindful.  To review the whole board/setup now.  Whatever your previous plans/strategies, the other player moved.  Why?  Other than expectations?  What could you or they do now, how does it affect what you are doing?  

Have you had an advantage, & become so excited or assured, that you rushed or stopped evaluating?  

Have you got ahead or winning position, & forgot about stalemate?  

I have played game where i had opportunity to get 5 extra queens (5Q total, sacrificed Q earlier) & did (yes, i could have checkmated easily, which I prefer & usually go for, yet for once I wanted to see what it is like.).  I found it very difficult & challenging to NOT checkmate or stalemate the other player before promoting 5 pawns.  It was a puzzle to solve during the game.   Left very little room for other K to be out of check (most of board squares covered by Qs).  I stayed mindful of stalemate, avoided it, & checkmated with 5Qs.  (One time deal, I usually go for checkmate as soon as I see opportunity.)  

This is still a good puzzle.  Why is this the best solution?  & this one is clearer what the solution goal is & so where to start.  (Some puzzles respond incorrect to well played moves, cause does not match their solution, have to do trial & error to finally see whatthe goal is & so start.)  

Yes this setup is very unlikely to occur in game play.  Black K abandoned its pawns & position advantage?  Instead of staying near pawns & assisting pushing them forward & promoting? It got behind opponents pawn?  Huh?  

It could happen, like opportunity to take major piece instead of pawn.  

I know it's contrived for puzzle's sake.  

IT WAS AN EASY PUZZEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!wp.png

djreed90 wrote:
    dufferps wrote:
    Tsadddek wrote:
    Bilbo21 wrote:

I can't see that position happening very often.

Why didn´t he promote to a Bishop?

A King and Bishiop ending us usually a draw, and in this case with three black pawns, it is even more ikely to be a draw.  Impossible for white to win with a King and Bishop.  A Rook can cover every square on the board, and therefore can team up with the white King to win.

I agree about ultimate draw likely (if played well, no mistakes or blunders. I see your point about promoting to B on h8. Then can take middle BP on f6. Further play white can get BP on f5. So white can guarantee taking 2/3 BPs. However, from there it is likely a draw if well played. Endgame B vs. P (Ks are always on board so assumed) (unless someone knows way to guarantee P promotion). (If was B vs. 2P (especially connected/adjacent), then that could be win for Ps (promotion). Yet white can force taking all BPs down to 1.) WR can guarantee win if played well. Try in chess.com game analysis (analyzer) mode & work/play out alternatives/options. You may have to play both sides, so do your best for each. Also because rook is better, next best after queen (except in this kind of case where promotion to Q loses option to win, while R allows to continue to win). The order of best or most useful pieces are (especially alone, or during endgame phase with only K or Ps, or in pawn promotion) - (same order as assigned piece point value, point value also reflects more useful piece / relative value.) Q, R, B or N (I prefer N, can reach all squares, tricky to effectively plan moves. B can be powerful in coverage & reach & simpler to plan, but only all light or else all dark squares, half the board, opponent can use this to advantage, avoid B covered squares, or sequence moves to avoid or pass B.), P (except has that promotion potential or hope, if you can safely deliver or leverage into major piece exchange/sacrifice by other player. In the promotion potential situations, this can be more valuable than a major piece & even worth a major piece loss or sacrifice to deliver/realize promotion (like sacrifice R/Q to promote & gain a Q or just replace piece). So actual value is low with potential value is any pieces above! Potential & extra threat of pawns about which to be mindful.). (K gets special mention, powerful & useful within 1 square reach, but with check rules vulnerability no other piece has.)

You took an awfully long time to say "King and Bishop can't mate a bare King, even if White does win all the black pawns", which is the reason why h8(R) wins and h8(B) doesn't. There isn't even any "likely a draw if well played" about it. White has no reason to ever move his King from in front of the black pawns, but he has no possible way to checkmate barring some weird underpromotion and active cooperation from Black.

(Black could eventually play ...f1(B) and march his King to h8 and Bishop to h7, when White King on f8 and Bishop on the a1-h8 diagonal is mate. But like I say, that needs active cooperation from Black.)

mikeychon118 wrote:

i'm still not understanding why promotion to a Rook is better than a Queen?  Does the Black king not still have a move to g7??

Indeed he does, and that is the whole point. Black is not stalemated and so White can win all the pawns in his own good time, then checkmate with King and Rook which is elementary stuff.

The underpromotion sealed the win!

that was pretty easy but not what i expected. I'm better at the blitzblitz.pngmoves than i am at regular chess

thumbup.png

I don't think that I'm going to choose rook in real game :)

Online Now