7/12/2012 - Mikanovic-Moisan Plante, Canada 2001

Am I missing something?  Why would black take the bishop?

robson100 wrote:

I think the puzzle is poor, there is no way and no need for black to have moved the bishop in that way............. ridiculous!

Before posting something like that, check that all your clues are in place. You're appreciation is incorrect. The key on the puzzle is black's bishop. Is the responsible of preventing mate. That's why, first, the knight has to move of the way forcing check, and second white's bishop on h6 pinning black's bishop on g7. Then, whether black captures or not, is mate in one induced by the queen.

Nice one

Challenging! Woohoo.

easy

1.Ne6+ was critcal move as Bxe6 blocked pawn's advance to clear escape path for King.

Valpo_rocks wrote:

Am I missing something?  Why would black take the bishop?

Leaving it is no better  - White is threatening Qh8# and the Black King can't get out of the box in time. 2. ... Rf6 and 2. ... Rf8 both allow 3. Qxg7# instead.

metalcsg wrote:
    robson100 wrote:

I think the puzzle is poor, there is no way and no need for black to have moved the bishop in that way............. ridiculous!

Before posting something like that, check that all your clues are in place. You're appreciation is incorrect. The key on the puzzle is black's bishop. Is the responsible of preventing mate. That's why, first, the knight has to move of the way forcing check, and second white's bishop on h6 pinning black's bishop on g7. Then, whether black captures or not, is mate in one induced by the queen.

Absolutely correct- not dealing with the leaving the black bishop where it is leads to mate with Qh8#- the bishop cannot take the queen as it is pinned. The only other move is rook f6 which leads to Qxg7#. The only out for black was to stand up and petulantly flip the board in the air before stomping off muttering "stupid game anyway!" Whether this was seen as a resignation would depend on the relative sizes of the players.

Impossible puzzle to solve, as appeared to me. But solved. Nice.

good one

Mighty fine. On the prestigious 6th page no less!

Was just staring at the puzzle on the first page for about an hour,then i had to come in...

good one

How about 2.. Qd8 ?

I can't normally solve the past match scenarios, but I did this one.

Capechronicler wrote:
    Absolutely correct- not dealing with the leaving the black bishop where it is leads to mate with Qh8#- the bishop cannot take the queen as it is pinned. The only other move is rook f6 which leads to Qxg7#. The only out for black was to stand up and petulantly flip the board in the air before stomping off muttering "stupid game anyway!" Whether this was seen as a resignation would depend on the relative sizes of the players.

Ha ha! Nice comment.Laughing

hmm:)

hawkeye62 wrote:

How about 2.. Qd8 ?

Is mate anyway 3. Qh8#.

cake

not bad :)

or Join

Online Now