7/12/2012 - Mikanovic-Moisan Plante, Canada 2001

  • #101

    Am I missing something?  Why would black take the bishop?

  • #102
    robson100 wrote:

    I think the puzzle is poor, there is no way and no need for black to have moved the bishop in that way............. ridiculous!

    Before posting something like that, check that all your clues are in place. You're appreciation is incorrect. The key on the puzzle is black's bishop. Is the responsible of preventing mate. That's why, first, the knight has to move of the way forcing check, and second white's bishop on h6 pinning black's bishop on g7. Then, whether black captures or not, is mate in one induced by the queen.

  • #103

    Nice one

  • #104

    Challenging! Woohoo.

  • #105

    easy

  • #106

    1.Ne6+ was critcal move as Bxe6 blocked pawn's advance to clear escape path for King.

  • #107
    Valpo_rocks wrote:

    Am I missing something?  Why would black take the bishop?

    Leaving it is no better  - White is threatening Qh8# and the Black King can't get out of the box in time. 2. ... Rf6 and 2. ... Rf8 both allow 3. Qxg7# instead.

  • #108
    metalcsg wrote:
    robson100 wrote:

    I think the puzzle is poor, there is no way and no need for black to have moved the bishop in that way............. ridiculous!

    Before posting something like that, check that all your clues are in place. You're appreciation is incorrect. The key on the puzzle is black's bishop. Is the responsible of preventing mate. That's why, first, the knight has to move of the way forcing check, and second white's bishop on h6 pinning black's bishop on g7. Then, whether black captures or not, is mate in one induced by the queen.

    Absolutely correct- not dealing with the leaving the black bishop where it is leads to mate with Qh8#- the bishop cannot take the queen as it is pinned. The only other move is rook f6 which leads to Qxg7#. The only out for black was to stand up and petulantly flip the board in the air before stomping off muttering "stupid game anyway!" Whether this was seen as a resignation would depend on the relative sizes of the players.

  • #109

    Impossible puzzle to solve, as appeared to me. But solved. Nice.

  • #110

    good one

  • #111

    Mighty fine. On the prestigious 6th page no less!

  • #112

    Was just staring at the puzzle on the first page for about an hour,then i had to come in...

  • #113

    good one

  • #114

    How about 2.. Qd8 ?

  • #115

    I can't normally solve the past match scenarios, but I did this one.

  • #116
    Capechronicler wrote:
    Absolutely correct- not dealing with the leaving the black bishop where it is leads to mate with Qh8#- the bishop cannot take the queen as it is pinned. The only other move is rook f6 which leads to Qxg7#. The only out for black was to stand up and petulantly flip the board in the air before stomping off muttering "stupid game anyway!" Whether this was seen as a resignation would depend on the relative sizes of the players.

    Ha ha! Nice comment.Laughing

  • #117

    hmm:)

  • #118
    hawkeye62 wrote:

    How about 2.. Qd8 ?

    Is mate anyway 3. Qh8#.

  • #119

    cake

  • #120

    not bad :)

or Join

Online Now