8/16/2018 - V.Korolkov, 1951

DailyFun
r2d2bb8

first, I remember when I first saw this type of tactic, I was confused because I was unclear about the rules of chess if you know what I'm talking about. *solve the puzzle!*

JangYeongSil

null

https://www.chess.com/club/chess-newbiez
This is a club for people under 1500 who wants to get better at chess .
Hi guys! You can join ! Everyone can
Let's make this a wonderful journey for everyone on chess.com Here you can post your OWN ideas , games played , puzzles and get help by other NewbieZ! It's a place where you can learn something if you contribute and help others too!

Club Motto : Together getting better!

robdonchess

hi, greetings from Italy

jorb8

yup

ellr16

An annoying puzzle, until I realized a special move was available.

Spoiler: White can still castle, although how they got to this position is a mystery. The problem now becomes one of luring the King to the d file to create check from the castling. The g pawn sacrifice gives enough room between the King and the d pawn (pushing the d pawn immediately allows the king to block it, not allowing the check after castling). If black had tried to take the d pawn with his Bishop (d6, Bf5, d7, Bxd7), castling is still a threat (0-0-0, Rxa2, Rxd7, ..., Kb1, Ra3, Kb2).

Regarding how the rook got to this position, it must have arisen from a promoted pawn. A pawn on c3 captured on b2, promoted to a rook on b1, with a piece between it and the king, stopping check, and then retreating to b2. Only multiple mistakes from white and black would lead to this position.

SonodaUmi

1st page

jpeinsc
nice
monojussi

A little tricky ;-)

dav55

hello

blackpawn1000

who

CJ0001

not too easy

pundawakka

biasa je

jean22

done

RsEalpha

done ^^

sahil_1018

yeet

tsathagua

How did that black rook get to b2 without checking the white king - such that 0-0-0 is still possible?????

SenorPaco

That wasn’t easy.

Gander60

Not too easy, but the situation showed would never happen in a real game ...

rksuper

was of the thought that with the black rook there, the penultimate move wouldn't be possible.. but realize now that there would be no check...