x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

8/18/2017 - Old But Classic Mating Theme

I managed to solve it but it took me about 15-20 minutes. I'm not good at calculation, only at the end I discovered it was a smothered mate. So maybe a good player would know that nearly from the beginning? Also, when your opponent threatens mate in one move, it's hard to counter attack when you're a novice or just an average club player. So I guess in a real game I wouldn't find the mating net (or losing due to the amount of time I had to think). I guess all you who solve it in let's say some minutes have encountered similar positions right? 

Mar-i-cel wrote:

Nice

real easy puzzle of year today's puzzle

Why not 1:Q;d3, then 1:R;xd3,2:R;e8,2:Rxe8,3:Rxe8 and checkmate?????

2012vette написал:

Qg3#

farator4 wrote:
    2012vette написал:

Qg3#

Yes if 1. Qxd3 then 1...Qg2#, but even if black didn't have checkmate black would not be forced to capture the queen with 1...Rxd3.  Just 1...Nxe7 and black has an easy win, even if there was no mate threat by black afterwards. 

With black threatening mate in one that can't be defended with defense alone white must keep checking to avoid being checkmated.  1. Qxd3 is not a check and not forcing enough, allowing black options other than defending the king.

today's puzzle two knights classical mate no calculation required for such easy mate in two

I found an interesting chess puzzle game for iphones

you can find it through following list

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chess-puzzle-game-of-chess-for-solitaire-players/id1272737257?mt=8

Online Now