8/13/2010 - White to Play and Win

smuralis2000

cool and calculated good one

Gil-Gandel
player0410 wrote:

after the pawn promotion why didn't white play Bb6

Because after 1. ... a1=N+!; 2. Bb6#??? Black plays 2. ... Knight takes King, leaving White with a permanent weakness. Not a move you see very often.

smulay

better than it looked at first..

znagler

This puzzle makes no sense to me.  Yes, if black takes the bishop he draws.... that's exactly what he's trying to do.   Obviously he can't win, he only has a bishop.  He is playing for a draw, and he could get it by taking the bishop on turn 6 since you can't checkmate with two knights.

fairymagic

stupid, boring puzzle

troubadouriv

But why would Black get a knight instead of a Queen?  :s

xray

wow.......

heyisforhorses
Frankdawg wrote:

6... Bxf4 looks like a draw to me as it would be 2 knights vs a bishop pawnless both ways, and if it is not a draw white has a nasty can of worms to deal with I don't see an easy way for white to mate if bishop takes bishop and I'm pretty sure black could snag one of the knights with his bishop b4 he got himself mated drawing it.

then nc4#

heyisforhorses
znagler wrote:

This puzzle makes no sense to me.  Yes, if black takes the bishop he draws.... that's exactly what he's trying to do.   Obviously he can't win, he only has a bishop.  He is playing for a draw, and he could get it by taking the bishop on turn 6 since you can't checkmate with two knights.

after that is nc4 checkmate...

elindauer

Like with every puzzle, the people that think black blundered don't understand what's going on.  Amazing puzzle.

RedUrchin

So round-about

deepmax

good puzzle

Gil-Gandel
Troubadour wrote:

But why would Black get a knight instead of a Queen?  :s

Isn't it dark under that bridge?

insaneintrovert
Frankdawg wrote:

6... Bxf4 looks like a draw to me as it would be 2 knights vs a bishop pawnless both ways, and if it is not a draw white has a nasty can of worms to deal with I don't see an easy way for white to mate if bishop takes bishop and I'm pretty sure black could snag one of the knights with his bishop b4 he got himself mated drawing it.

That would lead to 7. Nc4!#

white_wizard

very nice indeed.

DoctorWho

Stupid puz!!!  STU to the PID!!!

~The Doctor

lddldd2000

Very nice one! No redundant move! Every move is ONLY and ACCURATE. Especially bf4, that's the beautiful move of this game! A wonderful coordination of the whole three white pieces. It is beyond my logicInnocent

LTIUAFO

Now that is what I call "Correct follow through." and very enjoyable INDEED.

Thank you very much, gentlemen!!

Dr_Robert

Who accepts a knight?

rohit2rule

y didnt black promote queen