8/7/2011 - Famous Opening Trap

DailyFun
gmaster645

easy

KKKK2005

Second xd

Lawdoginator

Smothered mate!  And a very nice discovered pin too. 

austinportland

easy

shmakis

easy peazy

NrG

Famous?? How would one get to that stage in the first place?? DOH!!

Flametroid

Easy, and first page!

reyguapo

i fell on this trap when i was 10 years old.

Kyotocon

yep, even a super novice like myself got this.....

IncrediBill

A good puzzle for beginners to appraise the situation, understand the interaction of the pieces, and then that instantaneous moment of discovery where you go . . . , "ahhh, yes, I see!!!!"

apteryx

That move 5.Qe2 is really annoying to me, since its only purpose is to hope you will play 5...Ngf6??

5...Ndf6 leaves you in a fine position.

VVSector

I just can't work this one out - far too difficult; cheat code anyone?

Stefan13

Is it sunday allready?

iftikhor

EZ

Shazomei
NrG wrote:

Famous?? How would one get to that stage in the first place?? DOH!!

It's a well known trap for Caro-Kann players who play (and combine) the ideas behind the Modern Variation and the Bronstein-Larson and Korchnoi Variations.

1.e4 c6

2.d4 d5

3.Nc3 dxe4

4.Nxe4

Is the main line.

4...Nf6 (hoping for 5.Nxf6 and then 5...exf6 for the Korchnoi Variation or 5...gxf6 for the Bronstein-Larson Variation)

White then plays 5.Qd2 rather than retreating or exchanging the Ne4 to have a strong (and difficult to remove) centralised Queen if black plays 5...Nxe4

The trap is if Black plays 5...Nd7?? to avoid ruination of his pawn structure by a later Nxf6 by white. Qd2 would force black into the Bronstein-Larson variation if white takes the Nf6 on a later move.

cogitophagist

Mate in Two

TripleXDooM

IM FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... oh yes, now i see im not.

TripleXDooM

good god!! im ninetenth :P

Zinsch

I dont think, it's that common. People playing this variation usually know this trap.