x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

9/3/2011 - White Draws

strong

Why is the Composer of this fine puzzle not given credit for his/her creation??

To reproduce it here without giving the author is plagiarism.

IT's good that white draws in this losing position of his.

Hilarious! White rook can`t be taken and it`s a draw..lol

Why not just simply 1. Kf7, 2. Rf8# ????????????

FabioR wrote:
    starofbethnal wrote:

What a shity puzzle! Who came up with this??!! The queen can take the rook on the third move. Ridiculous. Why do complete amateurs post puzzles?

Si la dama toma la torre es tablas, porque el rey queda atrapado, por lo mismo el alfil tiene la unica jugada de proteger contra el mate, y si toma la torre es tablas tambien, tablas=draw, espero que lo pilles!!!

What FabioR said, which is to say: "If the queen takes the rook it's stalemate because the queen can't move anywhere without being captured, and by the same token the bishop move is the only one that protects against mate and if he takes the rook it's a draw too... I hope you get it!!!"

(I think the bishop move he is referring to is Bg7: I suppose he could play h5 earlier, but that just hastens the forced draw). 

hmm:)

Deranged wrote:

I think if Black replies to Kf7 with h5 that prevents the mate...

...scratch that: as Prince Roman points out later in this thread, Black's f pawn simply captures the rook and it's curtains for White.

I'll go stand in the corner now.

geniale!

Cossack_Man wrote:

Second! I know what you’re thinking: 1. Weird Puzzle, 2. OMG, it’s that Ron Paul guy again, 3. I should vote for Ron Paul 2012!!!, 4. I should join the riot political party.

actually, 1. Weird puzzle, 2. OMG It's that Ron Paul guy again, 3. I'm hungry, 4. I should make myself a sandwich.

its tough.

very easy

Mr_ha wrote:

are all these moves forced?

If black takes Rook with bishop stalemate

Don't get it. Why does the bishop move back down?

McAlbion wrote:
    FabioR wrote:
    starofbethnal wrote:

What a shity puzzle! Who came up with this??!! The queen can take the rook on the third move. Ridiculous. Why do complete amateurs post puzzles?

Si la dama toma la torre es tablas, porque el rey queda atrapado, por lo mismo el alfil tiene la unica jugada de proteger contra el mate, y si toma la torre es tablas tambien, tablas=draw, espero que lo pilles!!!

What FabioR said, which is to say: "If the queen takes the rook it's stalemate because the queen can't move anywhere without being captured, and by the same token the bishop move is the only one that protects against mate and if he takes the rook it's a draw too... I hope you get it!!!"

(I think the bishop move he is referring to is Bg7: I suppose he could play h5 earlier, but that just hastens the forced draw). 

The correct translation is: "If the queen takes the rook it's stalemate because the king* can't move anywhere without being captured, and by the same token the bishop move is the only one that protects against mate and if he takes the rook it's a draw too... I hope you get it!!!"

"mismo" refers to "el rey" here. It also makes more sense... ;-)

Oh right, I get it.

Outstanding puzzle with a real in-game value. The key for white is recognizing the opportunity of stalemate once the e-pawn promotes.

At first I didn't see the harm in playing 3. Rxg7, but then 3 ... Qe7+ 4. Kxe7 Kxg7 and black is left with a three pawn advantage. At least I think that's what would happen.

3. Re2 is the key move.

Deranged wrote:

Because if white moves his king first, the black f-pawn will simply capture the white rook, and white is doomed.

Very very very Smart!

can anyone explain  this puzzle..... i am a begginer and i didnt understand this puzzle

Online Now