Forums

Fascinating knight ending

Sort:
AndyClifton

This was the finale of by far the most interesting game I've played here on this account...

InfiniteFlash
AndyClifton wrote:

This was the finale of by far the most interesting game I've played here on this account...

good example of a position where a knight and pawn can win against knight. This is normally considered a draw, but sometimes it can be very difficult.

eddysallin
[COMMENT DELETED]
bigpoison

Well, I thought there was some hope with Ne6+ too, but upon further review I've changed my mind.  I'm pretty sure the game was already lost for black.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

66... Ne6+ 67. Ke5 Nc7 68. Kf5 b5 69. Ke5 b4 70. Kd6 Ne8+ 71. Nxe8 Kh7 72. Nf6+ Kxh6

Irontiger

Huh, my head...

How come your opponent is only rated in the 1500s ? I've never seen a <1700 play endgames like this.

bigpoison

Probably a damn' dirty cheater.

InfiniteFlash

If you guys were interested, here is another, "more difficult", position of a knight and pawn(s) vs knight. This one of course didn't actually happen, and btw the OP is a very good example of spectacular zugzwang.

White to play and win. This was composed by me hehe.

AndyClifton
bigpoison wrote:

Well, I thought there was some hope with Ne6+ too, but upon further review I've changed my mind.  I'm pretty sure the game was already lost for black.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

66... Ne6+ 67. Ke5 Nc7 68. Kf5 b5 69. Ke5 b4 70. Kd6 Ne8+ 71. Nxe8 Kh7 72. Nf6+ Kxh6

Which position are you talking about, poison?

AndyClifton

That Nalimov comes in handy, doesn't it? Laughing