Forums

How do I checkmate with K + B + N?

Sort:
atarw
bobyyyy wrote:

It's easier to explain how to get a draw when your opponent has bishop and knight.

1. Move quickly, especially if opponent is short of time.

2. Move your king to center of board. When forced to move away from center, try to aim for a corner square that's the opposite color of your opponent's bishop. You can't be checkmated there.

3. Repeat number 2 until you can invoke the 50 move rule and claim a draw.

4. If you still lose congratulate your opponent's computer.

Are you kidding? It is easy to checkmate with B+N, as long as you know the proper technique.

x-5058622868
DaBigOne wrote:
bobyyyy wrote:

It's easier to explain how to get a draw when your opponent has bishop and knight.

1. Move quickly, especially if opponent is short of time.

2. Move your king to center of board. When forced to move away from center, try to aim for a corner square that's the opposite color of your opponent's bishop. You can't be checkmated there.

3. Repeat number 2 until you can invoke the 50 move rule and claim a draw.

4. If you still lose congratulate your opponent's computer.

Are you kidding? It is easy to checkmate with B+N, as long as you know the proper technique.

How many people know or remember the proper technique?

Berder
Here is an annotated game of how to mate with bishop and knight using Deletang's triangles.
x-5058622868

Thanks for posting it. That example took 37 moves, and i think black might have been able to extend it. Not much room for error in this type of ending.

Berder

Well I was playing against endgamebot which plays from the endgame tablebases, so black always chose the move that would lead to mate in the longest number of moves (assuming perfect play from both sides).

Pretty much the only way it could take over 50 moves is if you make a blunder and let the enemy king get out of the triangle.  Another common slip is if you make a mistake chasing the king back to the knight and bishop, so you have to start over chasing him again.  It's best to practice it (for example you could play against yourself, or against endgamebot on FICS).

Bill_C

I will attempt to find my puzzle on this mating pattern and yes it is possible to do within 50 moves (Ludek Pachmann has the order at 38 moves to accomplish with Kings on e1 and e8, Knight on g1 and the B on f1 as well.

Bill_C
Bill_C

The entire process would look something like this:

All within the 50 moves span. This I guess has been accomplished in 31 moves but not sure if this was from the starting point above. Still, the mate is possible if you know how to coordinate the Kings correctly with the pieces.

JubilationTCornpone

I do find the triangle method easier than the W method.  Though the W method is faster, it's not faster if you can't do it.  And there is no reason to assume someone is using a computer to do this.  It's a forced win, there's a technique to it, and you can learn it if you want.

Bill_C
RCMorea wrote:

I do find the triangle method easier than the W method.  Though the W method is faster, it's not faster if you can't do it.  And there is no reason to assume someone is using a computer to do this.  It's a forced win, there's a technique to it, and you can learn it if you want.

That is very true. Though some might offer  a draw in these endings, if you know what to do, you can achieve a win. will have to check older posts to see what is meant by the triangle method. If it is faster, I would very much like to see it.

Scottrf

I use the method that the computer workout here suggests when you click best move, which matches the W method from Wikipedia.

I practiced it against the computer here which doesn't head for the opposite corner so just put the bishop on b5, knight on d6 and manouvre the king in.

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=391907512

Retrodanny
vengence69 wrote:
RCMorea wrote:

That is very true. Though some might offer  a draw in these endings, if you know what to do, you can achieve a win. will have to check older posts to see what is meant by the triangle method. If it is faster, I would very much like to see it.

I recently learned the triangle method, and it *is* easy. I know, however, that the W method (which I don't know...yet) takes less moves.