Forums

is this a winning end game for white??

Sort:
mattyf9

This was a game I played the other day and I reached this endgame.  I felt it was winning for white due to the threat of the passed pawn.  However he has the pawn majority on the queenside so at a first glance I wasnt sure.  I ended up winning because he completely misplayed the endgame.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

silentiarius

Black should win. The q-side majority is more important than the passed pawn and tempo moves are also ok for Black.

Argonaut13
rupnaylak wrote:

White has a certain edge but i dont know if its enough...

actually wait. kf7 kf2 ke6 ke3 ke5 and after c4, black is better.

Then he gets the king to the king side and should win, unless...

kd3 c4 bc bc kc4 ker kc5 and you win.

But with his king in front of the pawn, white has at most a draw.

I agree

mattyf9

Thanks for your help.  It seems pretty clear now.  Luckily for me my opponent didnt seem well versed in endgames so I won pretty easily.  

piphilologist

Looks winning for black at first sight due to outside pawn majority. But black can't trade two pawns on the queenside so it's not as simple as it looks. I thinkits still winning for black however.

wait ooops white has 11.c5 Embarassed

and so 10...bxc4 11.Kxc4 Kxe4 12.Kb4 Kf3 13.Ka5 Kxg3 14.Kxa6 Kf4 15.Kb7! g3 16.a5 g2 17.a6 g1Q 18.a7 = hmm... 

Edit: found it 9...bxa4 10.bxa4 a5! 11.Kc4 Kxe4 12.Kxc5 Kf3 13.Kb5 Kxg3 14.Kxa5 Kf4 15.Kb6 g3 15.a5 g2 16.a6 g1Q+ wins

Caiello

here is an easy win for black: