Forums

king vs king and queen, how to checkmate.

Sort:
mijfil

the way to make a checkmate with a a king and a queen is to make the queen cover a rank (down the b or the g or across the 2 or the 7). When his king moves down the only file he can try to bring your king parallel to his. As soon as they are parallel and it is your turn, bring your queen in for the checkmate. Try not to stalemate him in the process, here is an example from one of my games.

o-blade-o

ye; but, you have to watch the stalemate

mijfil

Ye i know, thats why you give him a whole file to move up and down and you can let him get parallel to your king, this insures that there is no stalemate.

Jaguarphd

Black just gave you the win. Some people make the stalemate mistake.

WellRounded

It looks like he just didn't want to resign, but also didn't want to play forever... You didn't "Force" him to the side, he walked over there for you.

mijfil

the thing is that even if he didn't want to go over to the side you just use the same tactic as checkmating him and he will have to move back.

Goran_10-15-85

It is somehow more elegant 10.Qa8#; to me...

ranama

¿wy the black King is pursuing a pawn that can´t be reached?

Did you trie to learn some chess?

mijfil

Dear ranama,

1. can you please speak english correctly

2. Any other moves by the black king would result in checkmate eventually.

mijfil
Goran_10-15-85 wrote:

It is somehow more elegant 10.Qa8#; to me...

either one would work so its really your choice.

Mm40

According to http://www.k4it.de/index.php?topic=egtb&lang=en, it can be forced one move faster. Not like it makes that big of a diference, just saying Smile

JRadis

8.Kc4 makes the mate one move faster. But it dont really matter, the victory is the only thing that's important.

Ziryab

Efficiency can be important, but instructive techniques is not always the most effecient. Mastering this elementary checkmate includes learning to force the enemy king exactly where you want him without checks.

I practice against the computer.

Ziryab

It also helps to learn some fundamental patterns.

White to checkmate in two moves (three solutions):

Nytik

You could have done it in 9 after 8. Kc4 Ka5 9. Qb5# or 8. Kc4 Ka3 9. Qb3#

dmeng
mijfil wrote:

Here is an example from one of my games.

I find that there is a better line.

After 4. ...Kb5 5. Qc7 Kb4 6. Kd4 Ka3 (or Ka4) 7. Qb6 (king move) 8. Kc3 and mate next move.

The problem with the line that you show us is that Black can stall by one move with 5. ...Kb6. Play would then follow something like 6. Kd4 Kb5 7. Qc7 Kb4 8. Qb6+ (king move) 9. Kc3 and mate next move.

wolfy27
Ziryab wrote:

Ziryab
wolfy27 wrote:
Ziryab wrote:

?

bryan_c

Maqking a stalemate would be a big blunder the idea is to simply neutralise the opponent's king into a single file.

klc57690
Ziryab wrote:

ziryab put up a position with checkmate in 2 but im pretty sure no one showed the two moves??