Forums

Saavedra

Sort:
stillCODED

stillCODED

white to play n win.
chess community, whereever. ending is he weakest part of most players.
this one is an old favorite, and could hardly be omitted from an endgame anthology.

courtesy: PRACTICAL CHESS ENDINGS
(due to my business and power prob. i complete it soon, just need starter in forum posts)

kindly dont comment, till i explain. many thanks. __ Mr CODE.

jawadprince

i am waiting bro 

Scottrf

stillCODED
[COMMENT DELETED]
stillCODED
upen2002

can't see stillcoded

stillCODED

as senior players know that Saavedra, famous name in chess composition n studies like Horwitz, Troitzky, Newmann, Rinck...etc...classic example of king movement and underpromotion.
every move of White must be timed right.
7 Kb3 threatening rook and mate by Rc8...little more later but i think it is enough.

stillCODED

someone get it in desired form, i m facing prob. line has been given.

qamar

Brother, Please post your forum topic in belw given link

http://www.chess.com/forum/post?gid=4959

stillCODED

again writing: c7 Rd6+, Kb5 Rd5+, Kb4 Rd4+, Kb3 Rd3+, Kc2 Rd4 and now under promotion c8=rook (c8=Q Rc4+, 7 Qxc4 stalemate) 6..Ra4 7.Kb3!!

Scottrf

You want as diagram?

stillCODED

ok thanks.

stillCODED

thanks, qamar bro...

RomyGer

An answer to post number 9 : yes, Saavedra is a famous name, but not in chess composition and chess studies.

Fernando Saavedra (1847-1922), was a monk whose claim to chess fame is based on the discovery of one single move ! 

G.E. Barbier (1844-1895), Scottish Champion in 1886, published that position (post 13) in The Glasgow Weekly Citizen, May 1895.   White's first move is 1. c7, and in April 1895 he already had given the position after this move, claiming that black to play could draw by stalemate !

Saavedra discovered that instead of promoting c8 to Queen, White could win by promoting to Rook.

This is the way the most famous of all chess sudies was created...

JMB2010

http://timkr.home.xs4all.nl/chess/saavedra.htm

RomyGer

The whole affair of my post number 16 took place in 1895, but this story is not complete without a game, played 1n 1875, between William Potter, a strong chess player (white) and John Fenton, an unknown, weaker player (black).

White to move in this position ;  Potter played 1. Rh8 x h3  and after Kh3: came  2. Kc6 Ra5:  3. b7 Ra6+, draw as we know now ( Fenton happy ! )

Zukertort edited a chess column in the City of London Chess Magazine and wrote ( also in 1875) Potter (white) could have won by playing 4. Kc5 Ra5+  5. Kc4 Ra4+  6. Kc3 Ra3+  7. Kb2 ( a known story for us now )

Only twenty years later Barbier found an old newspaper ( ! ) and thought : this is something for my column... ( see post 16 ).

All credit is for Saavedra, but the " innocent " Potter and Fenton came in the chess histories as well !

RomyGer

@ NM JMB 2010 : Sorry, John, I wrote my text in post number 18 ( from another source ) before I read your link to Tim Krabbé's website..., nevertheless, everybody can watch this now even better !   Regards, Ger.

P.S. --- and Tim Krabbé has more nice stories !!!  --- 

stillCODED

thanks for the info Mr Romy....