Two pieces are better than one

A great study by Sergey Mikhailovich Kaminer (1908-1938), a chess genius who died at a very young age. The winning mechanism is extremely elegant. White is a piece up, but to win he must take another Black piece. How?

Very nice. That study did not appear in "888 Miniature Studies" by Kasparyan.
    Liburkin wrote:
    Very nice. That study did not appear in "888 Miniature Studies" by Kasparyan.

Likely because it's not a miniature (up to seven pieces), but a Meredith (up to twelve pieces). Anyway- the final mating position is really spectacular.

BTW, nice nickname! I have already posted a classic study of Mark Savelevich, here:

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/more-puzzles/great-endgame-study

Zowie, what a mate!

That is a very intricate placement to achieve checkmate

Pure beauty!  Once again, GM Frendzas has delighted the community with his subtle brilliance.  Thank you.

I like these sorts of puzzles, which are short, have few pieces, and are just beautiful.

I would never get this right if I was playing white. Never.

o my god what is this?!
    This is a Unique Puzzle, please Annotate maybe!! 

they are fun and good for study. But a puzzle with unlogical happenings is impossible for me to solve. (I didnt even find move 1 btw :) )

the film "dumb and dumber" is looking more and more of a classic at this point, fedtel. i know of someone who'd be impressed.

you could try telling an easy joke to it.

FEDTEL wrote:

I am Impressed, but who's the dumb there? Houdini?

Don't you have a mirror in your bathroom?

Oh, OK. I have yours, too. You are very cute.

how do you know that is his real picture?

Boy, Alexander Woollcott and Dorothy Parker sure can jest, can't they?

A perfect example of beauty in chess.  I seriously would have leapt for joy if I found this mate in a real game.

I just hope you have one of those spill-proof drink thingies.

nice puzzle!

or Join

Online Now