x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

Why resign a game?

  • #161

    I didn't say anyone was a mindless sheep Lobster.  Don't be reading in things that aren't there now!

  • #162
    Suggo wrote:
    Chess_Lobster wrote:

    Your a bit of a looney aren't you?


    The old personal attack defence....yawn!


     It would be "a defense" if I was arguing with you, but I'm not. Here I'm just calling you stupid.

     

    Then who is trying to be part of the in crowd as you suggested. Anyway hopefully someone posts something worthwhile by the time I check this out again

  • #163
    Chess_Lobster wrote:
    Suggo wrote:
    Chess_Lobster wrote:

    Your a bit of a looney aren't you?


    The old personal attack defence....yawn!


     It would be "a defense" if I was arguing with you, but I'm not. Here I'm just calling you stupid.


    lol, oh the pain!  Resorting to name calling lobster, how very sad!  Touch gloves!?  LOL

  • #164

    Haha, stupid is name calling now? I think you're stupid (too dense to use reason) so I said it. You seem to think its becuase your superior logic has worn me down...To fufill your role (the parrot)...how very sad!

  • #165

    Lots of people seem to want to be part of the crowd....they all wanted to jump in with Rainbow...safety in numbers I suppose.  It is how it seems to me.Wink

  • #166
    Suggo wrote:
    marvellosity wrote:

    Yes, it's not a stupid comparison. It's directly related.

    Not resigning is not against the laws of chess. Picking your nose isn't against the law.

    You can choose to pick your nose and wipe it on the tablecloth. You can choose to not resign.

    Everyone will think you're a .... if you pick your nose, everyone will think you're a ... if you don't resign in a QRvsK endgame.

    3 tenets - a) is it allowed? yes b) can you choose to do it? yes c) do others think it's moronic? yes.


    Hmmmm, and we should all live our lives by what others think shouldn't we Marv!


    For many things, yes. With regards to picking your nose and wiping it on the tablecloth, it does indeed make sense not to, even if you feel like doing it. Else you get shunned, which isn't generally a nice thing.

    Much the same as not resigning here. Feel free to do what you like, don't resign all you like, but don't be surprised when people think you're a .... for doing so.

    If I do something that I know others won't like but I feel is right, then I'll be happy to take the criticism in the knowledge that I think I did the right thing. So if you think you're doing the right thing - fine, that's great - but don't be affronted when people criticise.

  • #167
    Chess_Lobster wrote:

    Haha, stupid is name calling now? I think you're stupid (too dense to use reason) so I said it. You seem to think its becuase your superior logic has worn me down...To fufill your role (the parrot)...how very sad!


    No actually if I think anything I think you have talked yourself in a circle and then trying to find a way out decided on the personal attack....I could be wrong!  What I do know is that I haven't resorted to name calling and insults.  Do people in the real world consider these the actions of someone with superior logic and thinking?  I don't really know, but you seem to know all about how everyone else thinks so maybe you can help me out on that one!Smile

  • #168
    marvellosity wrote:
    Suggo wrote:
    marvellosity wrote:

    Yes, it's not a stupid comparison. It's directly related.

    Not resigning is not against the laws of chess. Picking your nose isn't against the law.

    You can choose to pick your nose and wipe it on the tablecloth. You can choose to not resign.

    Everyone will think you're a .... if you pick your nose, everyone will think you're a ... if you don't resign in a QRvsK endgame.

    3 tenets - a) is it allowed? yes b) can you choose to do it? yes c) do others think it's moronic? yes.


    Hmmmm, and we should all live our lives by what others think shouldn't we Marv!


    For many things, yes. With regards to picking your nose and wiping it on the tablecloth, it does indeed make sense not to, even if you feel like doing it. Else you get shunned, which isn't generally a nice thing.

    Much the same as not resigning here. Feel free to do what you like, don't resign all you like, but don't be surprised when people think you're a .... for doing so.

    If I do something that I know others won't like but I feel is right, then I'll be happy to take the criticism in the knowledge that I think I did the right thing. So if you think you're doing the right thing - fine, that's great - but don't be affronted when people criticise.


    So bullying is ok if most people agree!  Hmmm, I think I will stick with my stance against pressuring people.  Cheers

  • #169

    I have often been asked about proper manners/etiquette in chess tournaments by players that are new to tournaments. Some were also new to chess and some were not. One of the things I tell them is that they shouldnt continue a game in a hopeless position without an extremely good reason for doing so.

  • #170

    Ah, but what an extremely good reason to them, may not be an extremely good reason in your eyes.

    Reb, from what I can tell you just want everyone to follow what you deem correct behaviour.  By all means you can want this, and I can't stop you from harrassing and pressuring others in an effort to achieve this.  But I will continue to jump in when I so choose in an effort to support people who are feeling pressured and hopefully help them feel comfortable to make their own decision about when or when not to resign.  Any reason is an extremely good reason IMHO!

  • #171

    Suggo: criticising something that most people feel is abhorrent isn't bullying.

    If you pick your nose at the table and wipe it on the tablecloth, everyone will look at you funny and someone might say something.

    This isn't 'bullying'.

  • #172
    Suggo wrote:

    Ah, but what an extremely good reason to them, may not be an extremely good reason in your eyes.

    Reb, from what I can tell you just want everyone to follow what you deem correct behaviour.  By all means you can want this, and I can't stop you from harrassing and pressuring others in an effort to achieve this.  But I will continue to jump in when I so choose in an effort to support people who are feeling pressured and hopefully help them feel comfortable to make their own decision about when or when not to resign.  Any reason is an extremely good reason IMHO!


     I dont harrass anyone to do whats right in otb chess suggo. Its up to them but if they continue to play in such positions as K v K+Q I just join the majority of my fellow tournament players in shunning them completely.... thats their usual "punishment". That combined with the fact that noone wants to play them afterwards in blitz or "friendly" games...... they become like lepers of the chess community, admitted back into the flock only when they have matured enough to have good manners and etiquette. Others receive such punishment , like those who like to gloat after winning a game or do something like touching a piece, not moving it and then denying they touched it, etc.  Peer pressure is a powerful thing suggo, I suspect you are old enough to know/understand this.  Ofcourse, in cyber space much less can be done about this and peer pressure isnt as effective. Take my game with ichv, for example. I simply wont play him anymore. Its pretty obvious from your stance on this and some of your comments that you are not a serious tournament player yourself......

  • #173
    Suggo wrote:


    So bullying is ok if most people agree!  Hmmm, I think I will stick with my stance against pressuring people. So bullying is ok if most people agree Cheers


    unfortunately bullying is ok   because most people agree with it, that is why in real life and online so much bullying takes place.

     

    If an individual does something bad, it is relatively easy to punish him.

     

    But if a group of people does something terrible to an individual they go for the most part unpunished or even get praised for it. Safety in numbers

     

     

    and to marvellosity:

     

    in your world sense/reason and social pressure are harmonious like in your exampel.

    Now a more difficult example: You have the choice to go your own way and do what you like for example play chess and not be like your others mates and there is a risk that you will be seen as weird and shunned or you take drugs and drinking hard like them and will be socially accepted. What is the right thing to do?

    Or a teenage girl that is pressured to having sex early by their friends just to fit in the group and to be socially accepted?

     

    I think social pressures and reason do not too often form a unity.

  • #174
    hellohellohello wrote:

    and to marvellosity:

     

    in your world sense/reason and social pressure are harmonious like in your exampel.

    Now a more difficult example: You have the choice to go your own way and do what you like for example play chess and not be like your others mates and there is a risk that you will be seen as weird and shunned or you take drugs and drinking hard like them and will be socially accepted. What is the right thing to do?

    I think social pressures and reason do not too often form a unity.

    hellohellohello: in my case, I chose both :)

  • #175

    The sky appears blue on those clear days because blue light is scattered by molecules in the atmosphere. The "sky" is what we behold from below as we look up.

    So yes, to everyone but an idiot, it is true that the sky is blue.

  • #176
    Chess_Lobster wrote:

    So the gases, water droplets, and dust in the air reflect red light, green light? Unless I'm dangerously mistaken on what blue is, or your using some ultra-pretentious rationale to explain why the sky isn't blue

    My description of why the sky is blue is a little off but nonetheless only a pretentious blowhard would describe it as anthying other than blue


     ChessLobster is pretty close. The sky itself doesn't actually have a color, nothing does. Without light everything is pitch black. The radiation levels of certain properties when combined with light actuall radiate their specific levels which can be found on a rainbow spectrum. So we can find the reflection of the sky on that spectrum in the blue area.

    So technically everybody is correct. Colors don't exist yet the sky is still blue.

    We might as well be talking about the word "Nothing".

    How can nothing be nothing if it has a name?

    ?????????????

  • #177
    RainbowRising wrote:

    Idiot Suggo.

    The colour of something is how it breaks down light into it's components. The sky is the atmosphere, and when light is shone on it it is blue (slightly more complicated why, but) hence the sky, is blue.


    LOL, you really are proving yourself moderator material!!  So when is that happening Rainbow? lol

    Oh btw, the sky is not blue, I know it embarrassing for you now after coming across all nasty and all.  You might want to look it up! SmileCool

  • #178

    Which text is that?  Did you actually go to uni?  What course did you do?  Did you also abuse people when they showed you were wrong or disagreed with you at uni? 

    So are you going to be a mod?  You are certainly showing all the skills!

    How about answering one question...the one from earlier...what did happen that hellohello doesn't know about?  How did I hurt you so badly?  lol

  • #179

    All this just leaves us with the question: What color is the sky in Suggo's world?

  • #180

    lol, look it up guys...or take a telescope and look at a green tree without it and then look at through the telescope...still green...look at the 'blue' sky and then look at it through the telescope...

    Next thing you know you will be telling me Polar bears are white!!!

     

    Now Rainbow, what about that question...what did happen?  lol

Top

Online Now