Forums

why was this game drawn saying insufficient material?

Sort:
sara_manju

Just now i was watching a game between ramin33 vs abvegeto and i surprised when it was declared game drawn by insufficient material. Actually ramin33 became time out before he could finish the game. that means he lost by timeout. Had he got enough time no doubt he was to win. But still ramin33 lost by timeout. Y WAS THIS GAME DECLARED DRAW? PLEASE ANSWER ME. IT SHOWS HIS POOR TIME MANAGEMENT AND HIS OPPONENT SHOULD HAVE DECLARED WON ON TIME. This is what i got to see in all the games i played so far. Because i lost many games by time out eventhough i was on the winning side of those games. The games were not declared draw in spite of my winning side when i became timeout.So how u differentiate these situations please explain. HERE IS THE GAME LINK http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=352762314

Master_Kaina

ya that does not seem right when white can still get a queen for checkmate

Bourbon53

White time ran out so he should lose, but since BLACK doesn't have any suffecient material he can't possibly win, thus the draw.

Its black who doesn't have material, not white. 

EDIT: if your time rans out, it doesnt matter what YOU have, what matters is what your oponent have, if he have enough material to give any possible checkmate, then he wins due to time, but if he doesn't then its a draw because your time ran out, but you oponent cannot possible checkmate you. 

Master_Kaina

oh i c .. cool .. so black SHOULD have won on time but instead white got the draw on material .. interesting ..

sara_manju

no here white lost in time actually that means he lost the game right? if not then why i lost in such situation ? that is my question

sara_manju

actually to declare the result why they see what opponent has? here no doubt white lost by poor time management so his opponent should win it? that is this is black's win

Scottrf

It's a rule of chess than you can't win on time if you don't have enough material to checkmate. Black cannot checkmate with a lone king.

JamieKowalski

Seriously, this question comes up almost every single day on this forum. It's a simple rule, and you need to learn it. You can't lose on time if your opponent does not have sufficient material to force a checkmate. 

I think we need to sticky a giant flashing neon-pink thread on this. 

sara_manju

but even when i was in the winning side i lost because of time out.just one  more move would have checkmated the opponent, still i lost on time

Scottrf

Or a rules quiz before forum access is granted.

'My opponent cheated by capturing my pawn that had already passed him!'.

sara_manju

thank u JamieKovalski for clarification

JamieKowalski
sara_manju wrote:

but even when i was in the winning side i lost because of time out.just one  more move would have checkmated the opponent, still i lost on time

If you lost on time, it only matters if your opponent has enough material to win, not whether his position is technically won. If your flag drops one move before checkmate, your opponent wins on time even if he's got only king and pawn on the board. A single pawn is considered sufficient material.

sara_manju

thnak u again JamieKowalski  for making my doubt clear. now no doubt left on that matter for me

AnnaZC
JamieKowalski wrote:

Seriously, this question comes up almost every single day on this forum. It's a simple rule, and you need to learn it. You can't lose on time if your opponent does not have sufficient material to force a checkmate. 

I think we need to sticky a giant flashing neon-pink thread on this. 

Luv to see those LED's with glitter and sparklesCool,