Forums

bad joke

Sort:
congofx

What did the King say at the chess pieces party?

Shut the door, don't let the draught in

Awesome_guy_25

What did Awesome_guy_25 say to congofx?

You're right, that is a bad joke

3jordan3

Hahaha!!^

congofx

I'm always right

chessnut72

What do you call two or more GMs kibitzing in a hotel lobby?

Chessnuts boasting in an open foyar.

macer75
congofx wrote:

What did the King say at the chess pieces party?

Shut the door, don't let the draught in

I don't get it.

MrDamonSmith

What did Michael Jackson & KMart have in common?

They both had little boys underwear half off.

congofx

Macer75, I'm sorry you didn't get my joke. Please allow me to explain.

Its a play on words. You probably didn't get it because you're an American who speaks american. I'm an Englishman who speaks English. Now, English is an ancient and beautiful language which has been aberrated by your countrymen over the years. Colour and honour for example are spelt (not spelled) with a U. Other correct spellings your nation seem unable to comprehend are centre and theatre. Its all subtlety and nuance which add depth and beauty to our mother tongue.

The word draught is the proper spelling of a word you might know as draft. Draughts is a game played on an 8x8 board of light and dark squares. A checkered board, or to use correct english, a chequered board. Its a similar game to chess albeit not so grandiose. The king is essentially trying to prevent a checker or again to be correct, a chequer, or a draught from gate crashing a chess party.

Get it?

Don't despair, America does get some things right. You'll be pleased to know that math is the correct shortening of mathematics and not maths as we are prone to say here.

macer75
congofx wrote:

Macer75, I'm sorry you didn't get my joke. Please allow me to explain.

Its a play on words. You probably didn't get it because you're an American who speaks american. I'm an Englishman who speaks English. Now, English is an ancient and beautiful language which has been aberrated by your countrymen over the years. Colour and honour for example are spelt (not spelled) with a U. Other correct spellings your nation seem unable to comprehend are centre and theatre. Its all subtlety and nuance which add depth and beauty to our mother tongue.

The word draught is the proper spelling of a word you might know as draft. Draughts is a game played on an 8x8 board of light and dark squares. A checkered board, or to use correct english, a chequered board. Its a similar game to chess albeit not so grandiose. The king is essentially trying to prevent a checker or again to be correct, a chequer, or a draught from gate crashing a chess party.

Get it?

Don't despair, America does get some things right. You'll be pleased to know that math is the correct shortening of mathematics and not maths as we are prone to say here.

O, now I get it. The only part I didn't understand at first was that there's a game called draughts. Now it all makes sense.

3jordan3

@macer75 in america we just call it checkers