Forums

How many people do u know that have fun with chess, seriously?

Sort:
George1st

Tubeman, u know that ain't ever going to happen.....lol

DrFrank124c

To me chess is agony and ecstasy. I play every day online and go to my chess club twice a week. When I win I enjoy a high. When I lose I sometimes get angry and/or depressed. When I'm at the club I have a good time playing and socializing but I must admit I am a better winner than losing. If it weren't for chess I would have nothing to do but watch vids on the internet.

AdamRinkleff
frank124c wrote:

Every day online... I enjoy a high... I have a good time... I must admit I... have nothing to do but watch vids on the internet.

lol.

hoedesack

yeah sounds like an addict

Elubas

It's not hard to make something look stupid by taking quotes out of context.

hoedesack

we're not talking about stupidity we're talking about addiction

AdamRinkleff
Elubas wrote:

It's not hard to make [me] look stupid...

Nope.

gambitattax

I enjoy this game called "CHESS". I get frustated when I lose and I feel like I should quit chess and I when I win a game... I dream about becoming a Grandmaster...

Vease

I think some people feel they should be good at chess because they are smart and successful in other areas of their life but when the results aren't going well they have to look for something outside of themselves to blame. Theres absolutely no 'fun' in chess for those people, except when they win.

Its largely ego, which explains the seemingly inexhaustible market for self improvement books which pretty much just say the same things in different ways. Weak chess players keep buying them because they think there is some 'secret' that will be revealed to them in one of these books that will enable them to reach the level they think they should be at. They don't consider that they just might not be very good at chess.

For certain personality types they can't cope with not being very good at something so the pent up frustration comes out in those less than sporting resignations we have all come across. Chess is very, very hard to play well and not everyone has any aptitude for it but some people can't deal with that.

eddysallin
George1st wrote:

As far as the majority goes, I see a steady never ending stream of under achievers in life and stressed out frustrated people playing/learning chess.

Chess should be fun, what's going on with chessers?

If most would let me win..... that would be fun ! Passion or love , not fun is the driver. Though u could say how do u define "fun" ?

Danny_BLT

winning is fun

dadam

With a rating of 2500 its hard to getting better, but with my rating (1090) it's very easy, that makes me happy.

So I have fun and hope not to win.

AdamRinkleff
dadam wrote:

With a rating of 2500 its hard to getting better, but with my rating (1090)

I was happiest as an 800. I thought I was really good beating up on the 400s.

pureredwhiteblu

Chess, as a sport, is very similiar to Golf. Watching the Masters play can be fun, exciting, and inspiring. Playing  with your buddies can mostly be fun... but noone likes to drop a piece or slice the ball into the rough. Win or Lose, the ultimate goal is self-improvement with the game and being a good sport.

George1st

Personally i love chess cause I find no stress and chat with some great people : )

nameno1had

Cheers....wanna play a game sometime ?

royalbishop
George1st wrote:

Personally i love chess cause I find no stress and chat with some great people : )

When my rank gets that hi BCF Rating 2677  who is going to give you any problems. You could say 2 Knights and is worth more that 2 Rooks and for 1 hr nobody is going to respond. Let us try it we will not only get a response in 1 sec but 100 comments calling us all kinds of idiots. When you would get that was a funny joke.

royalbishop

My fun first reduced when i started playing Vote Chess. Long story ...short, it just takes a few take away some of the fun of it. Still have fun just as not as much as i think i could have playing Vote Chess.

Then came Live Chess. Not sure which is more wild. The randomizer or my opponents aborting games in Live Chess.

Then last but not least. The draw rule with same 3 moves in which case they do not have to be consecutive. Look it up as i know i am making it look better than it is here. My fault as i should have looked it up.

George1st
royalbishop wrote:
George1st wrote:

When my rank gets that hi BCF Rating 2677  who is going to give you any problems. You could say 2 Knights and is worth more that 2 Rooks and for 1 hr nobody is going to respond. Let us try it we will not only get a response in 1 sec but 100 comments calling us all kinds of idiots. When you would get that was a funny joke.

Cheers!!!

FunWithChess20
George1st wrote:

As far as the majority goes, I see a steady never ending stream of under achievers in life and stressed out frustrated people playing/learning chess.

Chess should be fun, what's going on with chessers?

As the majority I 

I could not have said it better myself!