Illegal Position Contest!

FuzzleOIL

Oh, I was wrong. White's pawn on f2 (or g2) makes it illegal.

Without that pawn it should work.

Or black's king is somewhere in rank 3 to rank 8.

tugrads
Chessman265 yazdı:

This is a common trick puzzle, because it appears in a semi-famous book, but is it possible for this position to be reached with white to move?

yes it is possible; 1)Kxc3 + e6 2) Kxb1 + e5  (White to move)

Galaxy_Chess_God

spots100

@Galaxy_Chess_God

Can you please make positions that actually look legal but aren't. I can make 100,000 positions that are illegal without any thought, but it takes thought to make 1 good illegal position. 

eric0022
SorryNotToday wrote:
eric0022 wrote:
SorryNotToday wrote:

the black kin can get to b1 (Kb5-a4-a3-a2-b1). the issue is that the B on a5 and the R on c5 are both giving check to the WK. that is what make the pos illegal.

Basically you can't satisfy both conditions (Black giving two checks to the White king; the Black king being able to move to the first rank) at the same time.

it doesn't matter where the BK is, no matter which square on the board the BK is on, it is still an illegal pos.

Nope! Here is an example.

Trexler3241 has already taken this possibility into account in creating the illegal position.

Thaplayer1210

Unsure if this is posted already, this is the fewest number of pieces needed for an illegal position.

eric0022

I did something similar earlier (if I remember), with a 'promoted' bishop on the first rank like this.

However, this is the minimum number of pieces needed for an illegal position.

BigDoggProblem
Thaplayer1210 wrote:

Unsure if this is posted already, this is the fewest number of pieces needed for an illegal position.

Not so. There are illegal positions with 2, 1, and even 0 units.

Galaxy_Chess_God

Trexler3241

eric0022

#3.410

Breaking news alert: A wild dark-squared Black bishop has escaped from the zoo somehow.

SorryNotToday
eric0022 wrote:

#3.410

Breaking news alert: A wild dark-squared Black bishop has escaped from the zoo somehow.

even with the B on f8 it is still illegal.