Forums

Is Tal was been morfinist!?

Sort:
AWARDCHESS

Some Journalist asked the Tal: 'Are you the Morpfinist!?' 

'No! I am the Chigorinist!' 

The point is, that he was asked about using the drugs 

/ Tal was very sick!/.

But Tal instantly reversed the question into the play of the words, like he was asked about been admirer of the Pol Morfi!  And he refer to M. Chigorin!

Evil_Homer
I'm glad you cleared that up.
Locke
Indeed. A perspicuous contribution to Chess.com. It is a rather good anecdote, yet one that is most likely spurious and apocryphal.
Evil_Homer
Locke wrote: Indeed. A perspicuous contribution to Chess.com. It is a rather good anecdote, yet one that is most likely spurious and apocryphal.

What he said.

Feldmm1
What a clever man, Tal was.
AWARDCHESS

Tal was a brilliant man! 

When he lost his match to Polygaevsky, he told , that he is a Half-Tal, now!..

He refer to the Russian name Polygaevsky! 'Poly' means a 'half'..

RandomPrecision
I actually liked this one.  It's at the crossroads of two languages that allows me to understand a play on words that only makes sense in a language I do not speak.
batgirl

"Indeed. A perspicuous contribution to Chess.com. It is a rather good anecdote, yet one that is most likely spurious and apocryphal."

Is it?
and if it is, does it matter?

The only source known to me is that the story had been related by Gennady Sosonko in his New in Chess memorial article on Misha Tal in 1992. In this article, Sosonko talks about meeting Tal for the first time in 1967 Leningrad and afterwhich becoming close to Tal.

Sosonko wrote: 
     "He [Tal] never enjoyed good health.  At that time, both in Riga and at the seaside, he suffered kidney failure, and frequently an ambulance had to be summoned.  He was often in the hospital, and during his life he underwent twelve surgical operations. ... It was in the late 60s, that Misha became addicted to morphine.  The veins on his arms were black and blue as if covered with ant bites,  and the nurses.  trying in vain to find a place that had not yet been touched.  I know that later too,  in Moscow,  ambulances were forbidden to come at the summons of Tal.  Rumors about this used to spread around the city.
     At one of his lectures someone asked: 'Is it true that you are a morphinist,  comrade Tal?'  And his lightning response:  'What do you mean?  I'm a chigorinist...'  I think this period lasted a couple of years.  How he kicked the habit,  I do not know.  A guess:  when the drug dose threatened to exceed the legal limit, his strength of spirit and will themselves put an end to it."

But does it really matter?  I don't know myself. 
History is a conglomeration of facts.  We love facts.  Facts are the history-lover's morphine.  But facts sometime hinder understanding by blocking our view of something less incisive but far more beautiful - the spirit.  Some stories may be apocryphal, but surely not spurious, yet contain more real truth than many well documented incidents because the spirit of the subject or place fills the story.   Maybe this little example never happened, but whether it did or not, Genna Sosonko, who knew, and apparently loved Tal thought it revealed a certain Tal-ness - which makes it true in spirit and more revelational than some dry facts.  But I might also add that If Sosonko thought it was true, why would anyone doubt him?

AWARDCHESS

I remembered it, not from Sosonko, that I doesn't read, as a source... 

But, indeed, from Chess Journalist... 

AWARDCHESS
But, wait! We have more to offer! Just give me a break! I lost my job tonight!..
JG27Pyth
CzarWithinMoons wrote:    Let me guess... You were a witer for the New York Post or the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

ROFLMAO!

AWARDCHESS

I wish!

But I was banned for  "true press-media "of the USA!.. Or will!?