Forums

possible or impossible?

Sort:
andrewjmen

i made this puzzle and you have to say if its possible or not

Kaluki

Two DSBs. So, not. What flavor cookie do I get?

Scottrf

Impossible. White's black squared bishop can't have moved from its original location because the pawns blocking it haven't moved, so impossible for white to have 2 black squared bishops with 7 white pawns on the board.

andrewjmen

you're right Scottrf

andrewjmen

here's another one

rooperi

#5 Not possible

andrewjmen

you're right but do you know why?

NimzoRoy

Because after 1.Nf3 c6 2.Ng1 it's Black to move (or 1.Nc3 c6 2.Nb1 it's Black's move)

rooperi
andrewjmen wrote:

you're right but do you know why?

because knights cant lose tempo

Fralnp

Post 5 looks possible. Exemple:

1.Nf3 c6 2.Ng1 Qc7 3.Nf3 Qb6 4.Ng1 Qd8

Unless there's a specific number of moves to reach for the given position, me thinks this position could happen.

Adriandmen

The second one is possible:

rooperi
Adriandmen wrote:

The second one is possible:

Ah

andrewjmen

here's the answer: impossible

look at the numbers of the rows, the black king is on d1 and because every piece on the board is still there the pawns can't get passed each other

azziralc

Not possible because of the 4pawns in the corner.

azziralc
[COMMENT DELETED]
Adriandmen

It's still possible:

Fralnp

Alright post 5 with the algebric coordinates inversed White is Black and Black is White... What a bunch of trickery! You got me there (although not a impressive feat:) ).

andrewjmen

the first one was almost possible but you cant have two white bishops on a dark square with the pawns on b2 and d2 and with 7 pawns on the board
azziralc

Okay let's see that's possible but will not occur in the real game. And also there's no bishop sitting on g5.

andrewjmen

it's been more than one day but i've got a new one, i didn't make it but i tought it would be funny