Forums

possible or impossible?

Sort:
Adriandmen

I remember the third one. I remember it as an mate in 3. It looks like a mate in 2, but to gain the position you are on move No. 48 or No. 49 i think. 

bishshoy_das
Fralnp wrote:

I've done puzzle 2

Someone else can do the rest

In your solution, its black to move at the end, but the puzzle requires White to move as a criteria.

This may be a possible solution to #122 - puzzle 2 :

shoopi

Correct, puzzle 2# has been solved.

Also, the analysis provided by mashanator regarding puzzle 1# is true, but not quite complete as it does not explore all possibilities. Here's the full explanation: If white promoted a knight on h8, that means h6 must have been played. Now, there is no way to bring the knight to g8, because the only accessible square to it is f6, which would check the black king and force the capture of the knight.

The other possibility is that white already placed a knight on g8 prior to promoting, and then black played h6 and white captured a black knight on h7. But now, the pawn cannot promote as it is blocked by the black rook on h8.

Now only puzzle 3# left. It is harder and requiers more analysis. But doable if you like these things and invest the time to crack it Smile

bishshoy_das

man, it looks like i need a teleportal to solve puzzle 3

@#@%#^$^^!#^!&#%!*%#!&^$#!*%@^&!%#!%

will try it again later

shoopi

Yes there are some problems with that one.

Enjoy the challenge Cool

Adriandmen

The first one is possible:

andrewjmen

I was trying the third one but i couldn't get further than this can anyone say if i did something wrong

shoopi

That's a good try andrew, you can also bring white's dark bishop to f4. But you are still missing a couple of things:

1) White needs to have a rook on g3.

2) Black's king must reach h1.

3) White's other rook must be on a3.

Good progress so far though.

andrewjmen

I was stuck in the corner so i couldn't get anything passed it, that's why i wasn't able to complete the puzzle

andrewjmen

almost got it!

shoopi

Good job, however the last step of switching between the rooks positions is the hardest. Good luck.

While you're struggling with that, here's an easier position I newly composed. Hope you enjoy solving:

Can both sides castle?

Edit: Due to an oversight the following condition must also be met: White cannot promote on either g8 or h8 squares.

piphilologist
shoopi wrote:

Good job, however the last step of switching between the rooks positions is the hardest. Good luck.

While you're struggling with that, here's an easier position I newly composed. Hope you enjoy solving:

Can both sides castle?

Yes, a knight can go to f8 blocking the check when the pawn promotes. Will post full line tomorrow

shoopi
piphilologist wrote:
shoopi wrote:

Can both sides castle?

Yes, a knight can go to f8 blocking the check when the pawn promotes. Will post full line tomorrow

Hah, I know what you mean. I actually made a big mistake with this one, as I forgot the possibility of a kingside promotion.

I might fix it in the future, but until then I will add a new condition:

White cannot promote on either g8 or h8 squares.

piphilologist

lol. I thought at first that, knowing how hard your puzzles usually are, after g8=R with the B on f8 that there was no way to maneuvre the B and Rs into their target positions but then I noticed that another piece could block the check. Thought it was a simple puzzle.

this is where i've got to WIll try the maneuvering later dont know if its possible

shoopi

Yes, it is harder if you can only promote on b8. Here's a hint though if you feel like it (highlight to read): You don't have to play exf6 with black early. Maybe it is best to wait until it is necessary.

shoopi

Anyone is still trying to solve my previous 3# puzzle? it is quite hard. I will otherwise post the solution much later today as I get back from work.

bishshoy_das

dont post the solution of puzzle 3 plz plz plz. i am working very hard on it and i am almost there.

andrewjmen

I was on other topics and I found one puzzle on how long do you take to find this mate in one by Tantale and there was a mate in one and I thought: was it possible? here it is:

andrewjmen

Tantale said not to post the answer so don't post the answer!

Special thanks to Tantale!

shoopi

Yes, it's a "trick" puzzle :P

I will post the solution to my own puzzle: