x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

Ridiculous Game Competition! Construct the game as crazy, random, ridiculous, and LONG as possible!

  • #61
    ryanzhangmiller wrote:

    IS THIS A WINNER?

     

    Yes. Definitely

  • #62
    EndgameStudy wrote:

    In fact, anyone who pulls this 50 move rule b.s. should be disqualified!

     

    The 50 move rule was invented just to prevent players from circling around aimlessly for long when they have sufficient material and the technique needed to land a checkmate quickly, since most decisive endgames, including king, bishop and knight versus king, can end quickly even with best play from the defending player,

     

    If the 50 move rule does not apply, the game would probably still be running now without me having to sleep at all.

  • #63
    eric0022 wrote: 

    The 50 move rule was invented just to prevent players from circling around aimlessly for long when they have sufficient material and the technique needed to land a checkmate quickly, since most decisive endgames, including king, bishop and knight versus king, can end quickly even with best play from the defending player,

     

    If the 50 move rule does not apply, the game would probably still be running now without me having to sleep at all.

    I remember the time when my dad and I used to play a few years ago, while both of us had no idea about the drawing ways.. When we got into a repetition position, we simply moved the same piece back and forth till one of us conceded by playing another move (it almost always was my dad).  And when we had nothing but two kings, we just moved them back and forth all the time, until he gets exhausted and turns away from the game, while I proclaim myself as the winner.

  • #64
    eric0022 wrote:
    EndgameStudy wrote:

    In fact, anyone who pulls this 50 move rule b.s. should be disqualified!

     

    The 50 move rule was invented just to prevent players from circling around aimlessly for long when they have sufficient material and the technique needed to land a checkmate quickly, since most decisive endgames, including king, bishop and knight versus king, can end quickly even with best play from the defending player,

     

    If the 50 move rule does not apply, the game would probably still be running now without me having to sleep at all.

    That's why there's time control. And I told you, if it was just a useless knight vs bishop or rook vs rook endgame, they should just agree to a draw (assuming no skewer tactics/mates are possible). If they don't, then they're just stupid. Even if someone didn't know how to mate with a knight and bishop, as long as they have the time, they should have the right to keep trying. It's not gonna hurt the other player to figure out where to move his lonely king.

  • #65
    EndgameStudy wrote:
    eric0022 wrote:
    EndgameStudy wrote:

    In fact, anyone who pulls this 50 move rule b.s. should be disqualified!

     

    The 50 move rule was invented just to prevent players from circling around aimlessly for long when they have sufficient material and the technique needed to land a checkmate quickly, since most decisive endgames, including king, bishop and knight versus king, can end quickly even with best play from the defending player,

     

    If the 50 move rule does not apply, the game would probably still be running now without me having to sleep at all.

    That's why there's time control. And I told you, if it was just a useless knight vs bishop or rook vs rook endgame, they should just agree to a draw (assuming no skewer tactics/mates are possible). If they don't, then they're just stupid. Even if someone didn't know how to mate with a knight and bishop, as long as they have the time, they should have the right to keep trying. It's not gonna hurt the other player to figure out where to move his lonely king.

     

    A repetition of positions for the king, bishop and knight versus king endgame is likely possible if the games are allowed to continue beyond the 50-move rule. I guess that some arbiters will not be too happy that several players make insufficient efforts to win the game. The situation is similar to a hypothetical case where several policemen fail to nab a single thief after chasing the thief around for very long. The policemen will do as far as they can to catch the thief, but at the end of the day, they would have to return to the station even if the thief has not been caught yet,

  • #66

    But what about endgames that take 80, or 200-300 moves to force a win? 2 bishops Vs Knight, and Queen vs Rook, or rook+knight vs bishop+knight? You might say a person couldn't calculate it perfectly, but since BOTH players probably won't play perfectly, one player can still win.

  • #67
    EndgameStudy wrote:

    But what about endgames that take 80, or 200-300 moves to force a win? 2 bishops Vs Knight, and Queen vs Rook, or rook+knight vs bishop+knight? You might say a person couldn't calculate it perfectly, but since BOTH players probably won't play perfectly, one player can still win.

     

    There will definitely be a minority of these cases where there is a forced mate which cannot be achieved in fewer than 51 moves with best play. It's a pity that the beauty of the techniques of these checkmates cannot be realised to their fullest due to the 50-move rule, but we cannot do much about the rules though. However, in practical play, most likely the defending side will not be able to come up with the best options all the time within a single game.

  • #68

    They gotta get rid of that rule, or at least change it to 100, and only use it when necessary, like in queen vs queen drawn endgames.

  • #69
    EndgameStudy wrote:

    They gotta get rid of that rule, or at least change it to 100, and only use it when necessary, like in queen vs queen drawn endgames.

     

    They had rulings of 75 moves before. Not sure about 100 though. But perhaps it would be good to allow exceptions to the 50-move rule in these exceptional endgames.

  • #70

    Yeah, even 75 ain't enough, as 2 bishops vs Knight requires up to 78! Some, like rook+knight vs Bishop+knight, can take 200-300 moves.

  • #71

    Presenting "The Goofy Stalemate"

     

    There's no real strategy in it, but it's the funniest stalemate you'll ever find.

     

  • #72

    F

    tttttttt

Top

Online Now