Forums

Signs you're a bad chess player

Sort:
corrijean

Are you sure you weren't in a Bongcloud Opening tournament?

e4nf3

Game #1, Setup #475, Fischer Random Chess

BC vs Grand Master Jim

Time: 0.00/0.00

e4nf3

Game #1, Setup #475, Fischer Random Chess

BC vs Grand Master Jim

Time: White 10 seconds; Black 59 seconds

nameno1had
corrijean wrote:

Here is a dangerous chess piece. Who needs to bring weapons to the game when you have something like this:

"The Dangerous Elephant: 12th Century, Possibly Sicily

Chess has never been an entirely peaceful game. When a medieval player became angry during a match, he would sometimes pick up a chess piece and hurl it at his opponent's head. Occasionally this killed his adversary. If you were going to pick a piece to do some damage, this would be a good choice, Boehm says. This piece was likely an elephant, the predecessor to the bishop. The two protruding nodules at the top represent elephant tusks. "Some people say the sort of stylized elephant [nodules] gave way to the bishop because the bishop wears that hat with the two points," Boehm explains."

http://www.slate.com/slideshows/arts/strange-old-chess-pieces.html#slide_8

Without sounding as if I am arguing, I suspect the elephant was actually used in place of the knight. There were armies that used elephants as part of their calvary. I think one elephant could be as effective in certain formations ,as maybe 20 or more knights on horseback, easily.

zman1234
corrijean wrote:

Nope, It's a Jr. Hi team league match, my team won both matches, 5-0, 4.5-0.5! I won both of my matches as well.

corrijean
zman1234 wrote:
corrijean wrote:

Nope, It's a Jr. Hi team league match, my team won both matches, 5-0, 4.5-0.5! I won both of my matches as well.

Congrats on your success.

helltank
JFK-Ramsey wrote:

When you can't win a game unless your opponent blunders.

When you can't win a game EVEN THOUGH your opponent blunders.

chessdude46

If you think drawing against someone is as bad as losing.

truhusdh

When your opponent announces, "Check," and you think, 'Check what?'

hotflamer

When you study the bongcloud and use it as your main opening

jtt96

:)

helltank
zman1234 wrote:

My first team league matches of the year were today. My second opponent was from quite a talented school, but on their B-team (Their top 5 is really good!) This opponent really threw me off! Here's what he played (I'm black!) If you want to see the whole game, a thread called "We need more amatuers to post their annotated games" I'll post it there in an hour!

Ah yes, the Closed Bongcloud. White has good chances to lock the position and trap the opponent's king behind his own pawns.

chessdude46

Your opponent thinks that you're playing suicide chess during a tournament.

zman1234

Here's the closed bongcloud game I had in league last week!

Chess4001

:p

DrSarnie

You decide to protect your king by moving a pawn backwards to the first rank. It is demoted to pawnlet, unable to move without permission from mother and has to be back home by nine.

chessdude46

When you wear your sombrero during the game you cover half of the board with your sombrero to make sure you win because they can't see it.

hankas

When the King -being a perfect gentleman- sacrifices himself to protect the beloved Queen.

zman1234
DrSarnie wrote:

You decide to protect your king by moving a pawn backwards to the first rank. It is demoted to pawnlet, unable to move without permission from mother and has to be back home by nine.

heehee, I like this one! +1

joseph_ward

You play the bongcloud at a rated tournament.