Forums

Signs you're a bad chess player

Sort:
e4nf3

Someone famous (actually, I just "made it up") once said:

"Women like bad boys and bad chess players. "

Maybe. 

You might get away with being a bad boy. But, if you're just a bad chess player...it would help if you could bring a lot of exquisite jewelry (none of that cheap stuff, either).

e4nf3

Ain't that the truth. And you can't do the full course unless you have the diamond membership.

You find ways to vindicate yourself. For example, you tell yourself: "Just because I always make the first major blunder, that doesn't mean that I am the worse chess player."

"That's what chess is all about. One day you give your opponent a lesson, the next day he gives you one." -- Bobby Fischer

1RedKnight99
N2UHC wrote:

Signs you're a bad chess player

You play 1. e4 and your opponent says “Mate in 6.”

Members of your chess club start chuckling when you walk through the door.

You discover that a tournament is not a good place or time to learn the “en passant” rule.

Half your chess pieces desert the game.

Your idea for a king sacrifice doesn't go very well.

At your last tournament, you tied for last place with a monkey named “Bobo.”

You consult a chess engine for help with your game, and it tells you that you should have resigned 5 moves ago, and would probably be best if you forget chess and take up stamp collecting.

After your queen sacrifice, you tell yourself, “At least he won't be using that pawn any more.”

In the middle of your game, you ask your opponent, “Wait, was I playing white, or black?”

Your best victory was winning on time when your opponent had to go to the hospital.

More like, you play 1. f3 and your opponent says Mate in 2. Or,

You play the Parham or Bongcloud

Yereslov
e4nf3 wrote:

Here is what Bobby said he would do if he were to win the world championship:

'll play a lot, stake matches. Not like the Russians. They win the championship and then hide for three years. Every few months, anyway twice a year, I'd like to get up a purse and meet a challenger. It's good for the game, keeps up interest in chess, and it's good for the bank account. I want to get some money together. Like take professional football. All these athletes making hundreds of thousands of dollars. Contracts, endorsements. If there's room for all of them, there ought to be room for one of me. I mean, after all, I'm a great goodwill ambassador for the United States! Besides, I want money so I can tell some people I don't like to go ... yeah." -- Bobby Fischer

Too bad it didn't all go according to plan. And, we are left wondering who all these people were whom he wanted to go blank themselves? Geez...he lost to over 50 people, I would suppose that would be part of the plan. However, I suspect that's hardly the tip of the iceberg.

I would have liked to see him play against Leonid Stein.

PLAVIN81

BAD==BAD===Frown

e4nf3

duplicate

e4nf3

Here's another vindication...

"If I were to put in the effort, I would be a much better player."

How many times have you heard that? In fact, that was PrawnEatsPrawn's byline. Why don't they put in the effort? Or, just shut up about it.

"Chess is life." -- Bobby Fischer 

Yereslov
e4nf3 wrote:

Here's another vindication...

"If I were to put in the effort, I would be a much better player."

How many times have you heard that? In fact, that was PrawnEatsPrawn's byline. Why don't they put in the effort? Or, just shut up about it.

"Chess is life." -- Bobby Fischer 

If sacrifcing friends and life for chess is what makes great chess players, I would rather quit chess.

Yereslov
jetfighter13 wrote:

and time for Youre Great great Grandfather (on your Mother's Mother's Mother's Side of the family ) to inspire you again

and for e4nf3 another swell game.

I like that word swell

12. Bh4 g5 13. Nxg5 hxg5 14. Bxg5 is much better. It destroys the kingside and pins the knight.

Eventually you can bring your rook over and mate.

kco

you have come to the right thread yereslov.

e4nf3
Yereslov wrote: If sacrifcing friends and life for chess is what makes great chess players, I would rather quit chess.

No...no...you miss the point. Some people claim that they could be much  better if they were to put in the time/effort. But they don't...for whatever reason. So they should shut up about it.

Don't you remember Star Wars and Yoda? "Try not. Do or do not, there is no try."

Likewise, there is no woulda, coulda, shoulda as in: "I coulda been a contenda" (Brando...On the Waterfront).

And, even if these people DID actually do something other than "talk it up"...well...they might have then found out some hard truths about their own competence. 

Think about it...

Ben_Dubuque
Yereslov wrote:
jetfighter13 wrote:

and time for Youre Great great Grandfather (on your Mother's Mother's Mother's Side of the family ) to inspire you again

and for e4nf3 another swell game.

I like that word swell

12. Bh4 g5 13. Nxg5 hxg5 14. Bxg5 is much better. It destroys the kingside and pins the knight.

Eventually you can bring your rook over and mate.

you are again forgetting that that was the romantic era of chess play, and that the goal was to create a beautiful win. Plus your great great Grandfather found a winning idea and White didn't though you are probably right that that was best. you are forgetting the title of this thread. anyway let bygones be bygones.

Rubidium

You run through the halls of the tournament, screaming when you just won your opponent's queen.

After 30 minutes, you return to your board to find you only having 2 minutes left.

And you lose on time.

nameno1had

When you practice excessive amounts of trolling threads because, it is easier enjoyment than learning to play chess well...

e4nf3

Be kind to yourself.

nameno1had
e4nf3 wrote:

Well, I put in two hours per day studying and playing. I'm not a pro or I would do much more. And it is a real uphill battle with many seemingly insurmountable plateaus.

Then there is a little bit of fun, argumentation, creative writing and so on, within the forums. Nothing wrong with that.

Be kind to yourself. Throw out this "troll" word. It is one of those four letter words that are overused. If I wanted to use a four letter word...I have much better ones (learned them in the Navy...50 years ago).

lol...I think those will get you in more trouble faster probably, though they certainly could be more applicable for specific people...

ChazR

This invalid idea that Chess.com is for children is ridiculous.  I have taught chess to young people for more than two decades and unless you are a progeny, nobody can play chess until puberty.   If you understand educational theory, you will understand.  However, this assertion that Chess.com is for children is not true.  When you have people like Chrisr2213 posing in lingerie on their profile, that is not “child friendly.”   Likewise, when I say something between adults, I will not be censored.

shepi13
e4nf3 wrote:

Well, I put in two hours per day studying and playing. I'm not a pro or I would do much more. And it is a real uphill battle with many seemingly insurmountable plateaus.

Then there is a little bit of fun, argumentation, creative writing and so on, within the forums. Nothing wrong with that.

Be kind to yourself. Throw out this "troll" word. It is one of those four letter words that are overused. If I wanted to use a four letter word...I have much better ones (learned them in the Navy...50 years ago).

t-r-o-l-l

1 2 3 4 5

5 letter word.

nameno1had
hamworld05 wrote:
e4nf3 wrote:
Yereslov wrote: If sacrifcing friends and life for chess is what makes great chess players, I would rather quit chess.

No...no...you miss the point. Some people claim that they could be much  better if they were to put in the time/effort. But they don't...for whatever reason. So they should shut up about it.

Don't you remember Starwars and Yoda? "Try not. Do or do not, there is no try."

Likewise, there is no woulda, coulda, shoulda as in: "I coulda been a contenda" (Brando...On the Waterfront).

And, even if these people DID actually do something other than "talk it up"...well...they might have then found out some hard truths about their own competence. 

Think about it...

Becoming a grandmaster is less about putting in time/effort and putting in the right time + effort. If you don't know how to become a grandmaster, when you "spend time and effort", you're just guessing. Some guesses work, some don't.

Learning how to think is paramount to this game, whether it is for teaching ones self how to get better or simply how to calculate the possiblities of guessing your opponents potential choices...

e4nf3
shepi13 wrote:.

t-r-o-l-l

1 2 3 4 5

5 letter word.

Very good! You know, I was just being rhetorical.

Glad you were paying attention. You caught me "red handed" (no one says that anymore).

He turned the methods of the Soviet school of chess against it: Botvinnik-style scientific study of all areas of the game, in-depth openings preparation that has probably only been equaled or bettered by Kasparov, and a passionate will to win that only Alekhine and Larsen could match." -- John Nunn (on Fischer)