Sort:
AndyClifton

The closest I could come:

AndyClifton

The thing does seem to be rather popular in the animal kingdom though:

kodeeak

Lol Andy I'm still amused

Pre_VizsIa

My (twin) brother solved a rubix cube except for two corners from scratch without help multiple times. I guarantee that it is much harder to beat a chess master.

nameno1had

Considering I've never managed either legitimately, I do find it note worthy that, it is much easier to take apart a Rubik's Cube, than a chess master, in order to get them in the desried position...

blake78613

I solved the Rubik's cube on a 3 day holliday weekend.  Armed with a yellow pad, I drew diagrams.  I was able to to 2 levels when I started.  My basis for solving the cube went like this.  I would move a piece from the bottom level to the top level noting the moves I made.  I then made another series of moves that put the piece from the top level back on the bottom level but scrambled the pieces in the top 2 levels (the routine had all of the pieces in the top 2 level but scrambled)   I then rotated the bottom level and reversed the series of moves I had made.  This put the top two levels back in position.  I then noted how this affected the bottom level.  I then figured out a solution to the cube using repeatedly using the routine  and reverse routine.  It wasn't very efficient solution but it worked.  My wife was very unhappy that I had spent the Holiday working on the cube.  I solved the cube without referring to any out side sources.   I could never come close to mastering chess in a lifetime even with consulting books and other sources.  There is no question that solving the Rubic's cube is much easier than mastering chess.

SmyslovFan

*Playing* a master is far easier than *solving* any puzzle.

Now, beating a chess master who's sober. That's exponentially more difficult than solving a rubik's cube.

ClavierCavalier

So you're saying one should spike their water?

neo-metacrash

Wait, I can solve a Rubik's cube!

kodeeak

Lol Neo

macaulay313

I can solve a cube in 35 secondes and i've been cubing for 7 months. I can't beat a chess master and i've been playing for 5 years

chesskingboy

yea chess master is way tougher although i can beat masters and solve the rubiks cube i say beating a master is more challenging

ClavierCavalier

I'm going to take another approach with this and say that it's harder to play the chess master since there are less than 300 of them in the world, and I personally don't know any, but I can pick up a rubicks cube at Wal-Mart for a few bucks.

nameno1had

Less than 300 ?

This includes all known National Masters,Senior Masters in USCF and all of the FM,IM and GM's in FIDE...these are only two of the chess sanctioning bodies, where did you get your figures?

AndyClifton

Yeah, 300 definitely seems a bit sparse.

SmyslovFan

There are currently ~1200 GMs, 3000 IMs, and countless FIDE, National, regional, district and other masters out there.

ClavierCavalier

I saw something that said there are less than 1300, and I just left out the 1 by accident.

Oh, the title actually asks about chessmasters, not grandmasters.  Either way, rubicks cubes are much cheaper and more plentiful.

chessredpanda

simple as move the stickers

EscherehcsE

Solving three Rubik's cubes - while juggling said cubes  - and while beating a chessmaster. I'd like to see that. Smile

tooWEAKtooSL0W

All you need to do to solve a Rubik's cube is memorize several combinations. It literally takes like 2-3 hours to learn.