Forums

Which is harder: Playing a chess master or solving a rubik's cube

Sort:
AndyClifton

Yeah, even Meat Loaf couldn't do that!

konhidras

I think solving the rubiks cube is easier. I onced played with a stinking chess master and it was so bad. Two scenarios: He was definitely stronger than me at chess but his breath and armpit odor was much much stronger.

rooperi

Rubil's cube has more combinations than there are forum posts about the number of possible chess positions.

ilikeflags

with help. but parts i got on my own.

browni3141

Solving a Rubik's cube is easy. I can do it in less than five minutes just about every time. Playing a chess master is easier though, since you don't really have to devote any effort to play chess.

Which of these is harder:

1. Solving a Rubik's cube blindfold

2. Beating a chess master blindfold

ilikeflags

haha

AndyClifton

Then there is that perplexing problem of why you'd want to solve a Rubik's cube.

MaartenSmit

I solve cubes blindfolded regularly, it's really not that hard. It obviously takes much less training than getting good enough at chess to beat a chess master, let alone blindfolded.

makavili

Rubiks cube definately. I can do that in about a minute.

Kingpatzer

Rubik's cube can be solved from any position by following a simple algorithm. Once you know the algorithm, it's merely a matter of applying it. 

The same is not true of beating a chess master. 

Scottrf

Pointless thread.

As is, the rubiks cube is much harder.

If you asked the question properly, beating a chess master is much harder.

atarw

Its easier to play a chess master, than solve a cube. You said PLAY, not win!

transpo
koala8 wrote:

which do you think is harder? Facing a chess master (like Bobby Fisher, Kasparov, Karpov, etc) or facing the eight wonder of the world, the rubik's cube.

Solving the Rubik's cube is easy.  There is at least one video on youtube that shows you in 2 simple steps to solve it. First step is to turn the left hand side of the cube as you face it one turn counterclockwise.  Step 2 is to turn the top of the cube one turn clockwise.  Repeat the 2 steps in order until the blocks on the face of each side are all the same color.

If you want the website address of the video, please let me know. 

ClavierCavalier

Carlsen might see them as equals.

MoonlessNight

ClavierCavalier
nate23 wrote:

I think that also works against chess masters, unless they double as a kung fu master.

Akatsuki64

Actually, I think solving a rubik's cube might be easier, if you think about it.

LarEe91

there's a competition called speedcubing, how fast can you solve a rubik's cube.

however, there's no competition about how fast can you beat a GM Undecided

ClavierCavalier
LarEe91 wrote:

there's a competition called speedcubing, how fast can you solve a rubik's cube.

however, there's no competition about how fast can you beat a GM

They have blitz tournaments.

MaartenSmit

That probably indicates that solving a cube is easier.