x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

2017 Alabama State Scholastic Chess Championship Games

thx...thats close to what my coach said :)

dpnorman wrote:

Nothing to analyze for the most part. Three of your opponents were beginners and blundered all their pieces, and the other one wasn't, and of course the critical moments of that game happened after you stopped notating. 

Can you remember any of the moves after you stopped? For future advice, whenever you have a game like that, you should sit down at a board later that day, even between rounds, when you have time and work out what happened after the notation stopped. You're a 1500+ level player probably, and young enough to be playing in a scholastic event (no idea what your actual age is- guessing a bit on the younger side- but that's a little besides the point), so you should be able to remember the moves that were played if you revisit the position later that day. But after a day or two the short-term memory might wear off, which I'm guessing is what happened. So that's why I recommend doing it as soon as possible after the game.

Overall though I think you did fine against the 2100 up until whatever happened in the time pressure. High rated players also don't know what they're doing. They just make it look like they do  

Is it really so easy to remember? I'm a 2100 USCF, and when I stop notating under 5 minutes, I don't remember anything after that except for maybe the final position, especially if I lose. Also, nothing truer than those last two sentences. I always thought as a weaker player that experts were super strong and brilliant, and now I'm here and realize it's quite the opposite.

Some people have a great memory. I can remember blitz games without notating them. But unfortunately it's actually nothing special though... The only good thing out of it is bragging... That and being able to teach kids after playing blitz games with them... Being able to remember games has no direct correlation to the rating. And I agree^^ When I was lower rated I thought 1800+ guys were amazing and 2000+ were unbelievable... Well, now I know we suck compared to IMs and the difference between a 2000 and a 2400 is brobdingnagian... Ohh well...

Indirect wrote:

Some people have a great memory. I can remember blitz games without notating them. But unfortunately it's actually nothing special though... The only good thing out of it is bragging... That and being able to teach kids after playing blitz games with them... Being able to remember games has no direct correlation to the rating. And I agree^^ When I was lower rated I thought 1800+ guys were amazing and 2000+ were unbelievable... Well, now I know we suck compared to IMs and the difference between a 2000 and a 2400 is brobdingnagian... Ohh well...

In my experience, 2200-2300 is pretty similar to 2000-2200, but past 2300, I can't do anything. Ever since I've gone over 2000, I've had slightly over 50% records against 2000s and 2100s, ~40% against 2200s, and I haven't won a single game against anyone over 2300. All I have to show is a single draw. Maybe I'm unlucky, but I feel that the difference between a 2200 and a 2300 is way larger than the gap between a 2000 and a 2200.

I think you're probably right about that gap. And it's probably the same for 2400-2500-2600 etc.

or Join

Online Now