Sort:
UnknownGone

What could I do to improve my game?

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=581181217

Thanks

AlCzervik

5:54 am? Maybe a little more rest?

baddogno

I'm a much more positional player and that was a slugfest but I didn't like  2.Nf3 and neither did the database.  If your opponent gives you an opportunity to put 2 pawns in the center, why not take it?  2.d4 is better.  Get access to a database and you'll see how much.

UnknownGone

I didn't calculate baddogno That is why there are mistakes in there. I only went with my gut feeling and it still somehow worked out, I still somehow won on the clock, had material and a passed pawn before White did even against White's tempo etc etc. And I think maybe you are right "BAD""DOG""NO" But, I think if you win every match even if its creatively over logically, who cares - am I right? ( I do care what you say thats why I asked if and how to improve my game :P - But Seriously What ELO would you say Someone would be to play at this level? I don't mean my opponent just played really badly and I got lucky, I just mean, What ELO BASED ON THIS GAME. Would you say I'd have roughly? Chess.com has a bad way of rating ELO, But it's the best it can do with the evidence presented.

x-5058622868

13...exd4 doesn't look like a good idea. Better would be to develop your bishop and bring your king to safety. You might want to consider the position of the pieces after a trade to decide if you'd want to do it. If you played 13...Be7 and white traded with 14. dxe5, your pawn position would be an improvement after 14...dxe5.

There really isn't much else for me to say since you admit you didn't calculate. You were fortunate that your opponent played worse.

I have no idea what ELO this game would be, but if i were to guess i would say it's around your rating, give or take 100-200 points.

x-5058622868

It's a bullet game? Then the advice is a bit wasted since it's less likely to be used in bullet matches.

baddogno

Just realized it was a bullet game.  Tough to improve if that's what you're mostly playing, but then what do I know.  Also just realized you were playing black not white so once more I've proven publicly that I'm an idiot.  Oh well...So trying to guess your ELO based on bullet is a little like trying to guess someone's marathon time based on their 100 meter dash performance.  You can kind of make an educated guess, but that's all it is.

UnknownGone

Thanks for the input guys! - You're the select few of quality over the masses of quantity that just read my post and went elsewhere, Glad you people actually care enough to put in some useful information that will help me. Thanks guys. =)

UnknownGone
LongIslandMark wrote:

I've often seen posters asking "what was the time control?". We can look it up if it's a game that was played on this site, but that's a bit of extra work. It does completely change the sort of advice you might post.

I have no problem with folks posting bullet or blitz games (I've posted a good number of 10 minute Blitz games myself). However, It would be nice if either the OP put that in the post, or if the time control showed on the inserted board position

Excuse me? - I put http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=581181217 at the end of the game for that very reason. Please go look - Thanks

daddyjordan22

Play slower time controls if you want to improve. White had a very easy win on move 17- rxa7+, which will win both of blacks rooks. Lightening chess will slow down your ability to improve because it is close to being completely based on pattern recognition and you'll rarely use any original calculating input. Even blitz gives you moments to do some original calculating. I think before asking how to improve by a game, give a game where you are actively thinking and calculating your moves, not just "going with your gut". $0.01 opinion.

UnknownGone
daddyjordan22 wrote:

Play slower time controls if you want to improve. White had a very easy win on move 17- rxa7+, which will win both of blacks rooks. Lightening chess will slow down your ability to improve because it is close to being completely based on pattern recognition and you'll rarely use any original calculating input. Even blitz gives you moments to do some original calculating. I think before asking how to improve by a game, give a game where you are actively thinking and calculating your moves, not just "going with your gut". $0.01 opinion.

Nicely put and Agreed.

TheGreatOogieBoogie

The first big mistake is 4...Nc6 allowing 5.Ng5.  If 4...Be7 then 5...0-0 where if he traded on f7 you get two minor pieces for the rook and pawn.

After 5.Ng5 you have 5...d5.  It's normally bad moving the same piece twice but in this case you blunt the opponent's coordination on your weak point.  5...d5 6.exd5,Nd4 7.d6 (opening the line for the bishop again) 7...Be6 8.Nxe6,fxe6 and white stands better, but at least it's better than where you were in the game:

6.Bxf7+ Now what?  Now black is sunk.  6...Ke7 7.f3 blocking both the queen and bishop, losing a pawn, and castling rights, now with a threat against your bishop. 

7.Nxf7? was a big mistake on white's part because it merely exchanges queens and helps with your activity greatly.  Your bishop is great on c2 where you also have an extra pawn. 

9...Nxe4 looks better because your bishop is more active than the knight, and bishops are generally worth a little more than knights, especially in open positions. 

10...Bc2 is again powerful and cramping to white. 

11.Bxd5 again, bishops are better! 

Tripled pawns aren't much of a liability because they can be defended with the c-pawn. 

14.Re1+,Kd7 activating your king for the endgame and doesn't give white the winning move 15.Bg5 exploiting the pin for material gain. 

Your problem from what I can see is that you have an incomplete knowledge (we all do), such as mistaking that knights and bishops are equal when generally bishops are stronger, and more importantly:

You don't always ask yourself what does this move threaten!  Your opponent is also trying to find their best move, and it seems like you are playing hope chess, i.e., hoping that your opponent will agree to exchanges you offer, and you don't always check for opponent's checks, captures, and threats. 

People like Tal can use their gut, but they also have loads of experience and study to draw upon.  Until you've done thousands of tactical puzzles and looked at countless games you should ignore your gut. 

TheGreatOogieBoogie

You listened to your gut on move 14 with 14...Be7? and blocking checks is typically instinctual, but in this particular case went from a winning position to losing because of the pin. That's another problem:

Moving too fast!  If you stopped to think you would have found that moving the king was superior to walking into the losing tactical shot. 

Your opponent missed 17.Rxa7+ winning two rooks, but 16...Kf8 is still terrible for black where white is up an entire bishop and will win the (now) terribly weak tripled pawns. 

UnknownGone

Might be weak. But still won :P